18 October 2011

Yellow Smoothie - Vegan MoFo #13


This is a first for me. I have never, ever made a yellow smoothie. It's surprisingly good. But, weird looking. See, I was attempting to make some almond butter with cinnamon and a bit of agave to sweeten it. For some reason, I just couldn't get it as smooth and creamy as I wanted, so I scrapped it. At the bottom of my blender was the leftover I couldn't reach with my silicone spatula. What's a chickpea to do? Throw in some other stuff and make a smoothie, of course.

There were probably about 2 TB of my almond butter (more like a thick paste...grrr) at the bottom of the blender. I added 2 handfuls of carrot sticks (about 2 carrots), 1 Ida Red apple (quartered), 1/4 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup cranberry juice, a scoop of ice and 3 large strawberries.

I know, sounds an odd assortment, but it was surprisingly good, I promise! I had all sorts of leftover fruit and veg in my fridge as I was in charge of making a fruit and veggie platter for my pal's bridal shower. So, I decided to use up what I could. I'm thinking that I need to make a stirfry or veggie pasta for dinner to use up more of it. I really hate wasting perfectly good produce.

What do you make when you have fruit and veg to use up? I'm always looking for new recipes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment