26 October 2011

English Muffins a la Vegan Brunch - Vegan MoFo #22


I've never really much enjoyed English Muffins from the grocery store, and I'd never had homemade before. I feel like a gambler. Taking risks, reaping rewards and junk like that. I have loved absolutely everything I've made from Vegan Brunch thus far, so I took a chance and made the English Muffins (page 190). I was actually pretty nervous. I felt like the dough just wasn't rising enough (or fast enough), when it suddenly hit me: they're supposed to me discs, duh, not giant loaves of bread. I know, I know, seems obvious. But, understand that I have a rocky history with yeasted breads. Also, I never eat English Muffins. Cut me some slack, Jack.


Well, let me tell you, these buggers are AWESOME! I couldn't be any more in love with them than if they made themselves. They did take some time...about 90 minutes total, but I do believe they were worth it. I'm a little bummed, though, that I only made a half batch because I was worried I wouldn't like them. Big mistake. I ate 2 1/2 while they were still hot. Just slather on a little vegan butter and you're in muffin heaven. My only sadness was that I just didn't have the nooks and crannies that I was hoping for. maybe I didn't knead long enough or let my dough rise enough. Whatever, though, because they taste too awesome to complain for real.


You really need this cookbook already. Stop making me pimp it out. If only I got a dollar for every time I tell someone they need to buy it....I'd have a shit-ton of dollars.


Resistance is futile!! Get it. Make the muffins.


6 comments:

  1. These look really good! I'll have to dig up the recipe from Vegan Brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Taryn and Sarah! I'm so excited about them. They're really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to try them vegan. I am slowly weaning my family off meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, these looks amazing and just like "regular" English muffins. Gah, I just wish they were gf! *sadface*

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look amazing - I have vegan brunch and have barely cooked from it - despite loving the recipes - must try these as we buy muffins so often

    ReplyDelete