06 October 2011

Vegan Bisquick Waffles! - Vegan MoFo #6

Some days, a girl just need waffles. Today is that day!

I usually make waffles with nuts or fruit of some sort, but I wanted plain waffles today. Sometimes they're better than the fancy ones. You may be mega-cool and already know, but Bisquick is vegan. I was overjoyed to find out as I always loved making their drop biscuits. I bought a giant 5-pound box recently. Hey, don't you judge me! This stuff is awesome. You can make so much with it. I just realized this morning that the box shows waffles. Well, once I saw that, I knew I had to give it a shot.

I finally stumbled on a jar of coconut oil a few days ago, I was overjoyed to get to put it to use in these.  Worked perfectly, if I say so myself.

The recipe is straight from their box, but I veganized it. Maybe next time I'll some pecans....mmmm.....
This will make 4 or 5 6-inch waffles. 


What you need:
  • 2 cups Bisquick mix
  • 1 1/3 cups almond milk
  • 2 TB oil (I used coconut)
  • 1 flax egg (1 TB ground flax mixed with 2 1/2 TB warm water)
  • cooking spray
What you do:
  1. Preheat your waffle maker.
  2. Use a whisk to mix all ingredients until just combined.
  3. Spritz your waffle maker with some cooking spray, and scoop batter into the center of the iron and close the lid. Don't be that person that opens it too soon and ruins the waffle. Wait for the beep. Maybe yours doesn't beep? Hmm. Then wait until the waffle maker stops steaming.
That's it. Was that so hard? Now smother it in butter and some syrup and you'll be all set.

6 comments:

  1. Whoa. Wait. Hold on. Bisquick is VEGAN? Consider my life changed forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki! I wasn't sure about it being vegan for a while. I kept hearing that only the Bisquick Heart Healthy/Reduced Fat one was vegan, but the PETA "Accidentally Vegan" webpage (http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx) lists both as vegan. It's in the "baking" section listed as Betty Crocker Bisquick.

    Oh happy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nikki! I wasn't sure about it being vegan for a while. I kept hearing that only the Bisquick Heart Healthy/Reduced Fat one was vegan, but the PETA "Accidentally Vegan" webpage (http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx) lists both as vegan. It's in the "baking" section listed as Betty Crocker Bisquick.

    Oh happy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bisquick is a Godsend in this household!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use unsweetened apple sauce to replace the egg and oil and use Vanilla flavored Soy Milk for the liquid part. Then add a goodly amount of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. Holy cow, for an easy vegan (and pretty healthy) meal you can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived dangerously and added a heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder. Great!!

    ReplyDelete