27 October 2011

Pizza Rolls! - Vegan MoFo #26


Remember the beloved frozen pizza roll? That little frozen treat you used to eat everyday after school? No? WTF? Where have you been? Okay, they were awesome. And I've been seeing lately on some non-veg blogs that people have been re-creating them with wonton wrappers and baking or frying them. So, I had to attempt a vegan version. It's what I do. Have any recipes you want veganized, but don't want to do the work? Let me know and I might just give it a shot.

Anywhooo. The problem I encountered was that most wontons have eggs or egg whites in them. I suggest looking at your local Asian grocer. Sometimes they have them without animal ingredients. That's where I found mine. Same with eggroll wraps.

My batch made 20 pizza rolls, which served 2 people for lunch. The trick? You need to pulse your "toppings" ingredients in your food processor a few times to make them really small. I used half a pack of LightLife pepperonis, about 1/4 of a medium red onion, about 1/6th of a red bell pepper, and one clove of garlic. Scoop it out of the processor, mix with about 4 ounces of pizza sauce (I use homemade) and 1/3 to 1/2 cup of daiya cheddar.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat. Give the sheet a quick spritz of cooking spray. Now, go ahead and start scooping your filling into the wonton wraps. I used about 1 TB each. Then, dip your finger in some water and run it around the edge of the wraper. Gently press all the edges together to seal them up. Lightly spritz the tops of the completed rolls and sprinkle with a little salt. Cook about 11 minutes, flipping halfway. Dig in. 

2 comments: