17 October 2011

Baked Falafel Love - Vegan MoFo #12


You may or may not know that for the past week, I have been really sick. It was a sinus infection from hell. I'm finally starting to feel better and cooked for the first time in 5 days today. One of my most favorite foods in the entire world is falafel. So, I went to my most favorite recipe and changed it up a bit. The starter for this is the recipe on pages 121-122 in Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. If you don't have this cookbook, you need it. Borrow it from a friend or the library and check out the awesomeness. Then, splurge and buy it for yourself. And, while you're at it, grab Vegan Brunch by Ms. Moskowitz. It's probably my most-used cookbook ever. I love it!

Anyway, the falafels look dry from the baking, but they actually aren't at all. They're soft and tasty inside with a slight crispiness on the outside. In other words, they are perfect. I always make a super simple tahini sauce for dipping mine, but they are great solo. My tahini sauce recipe is this: tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper and a little water. Whisk and let rest a few minutes. Easy. No measurements.

Changes I make to the falafel:
  • Dried parsley instead of fresh
  • Red onion instead of white
  • Smoked paprika instead of plain
  • Sriracha instead of regular hot sauce
  • Add in 1/2 tsp muchi curry powder
  • Use 1 tsp olive oil instead of 2
I LOVE IT!

I've made it according to the exact recipe several times, and it is always delicious. I just like my changes a little better. They're great on pita with some tahini, lettuce and tomatoes. They're great on salads. They're even great all by their lonesome. You need to make them. STAT! Sheesh, what are you waiting for?

7 comments:

  1. Mmm... I haven't had those in a while, but they're probably the recipe in AFR that I've made the most times... literally dozens. I like them with cilantro and a little bit of sambar powder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you've been sick, glad you're feeling up to cooking again though. I love that falafel recipe, I'll have to try it with smoked paprika, I adore that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, those falafel look like the perfect starting to feel better food. Keep mending and recuping and cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Coldnsleepy, these falafels are THE reason to buy AFR! They're so rocking. I've never had sambar powder, I'll have to check it out. I would use cilantro, but my fella won't eat it :(

    @ Vegan.in.brighton, Thank you. I am definitely on the mend! These falafels are so excellent. When I first tried it, I was a little skeptical because I always loved fried falafel so much. Definitely give the smoked paprika a shot, I love the flavor it adds.

    @ Gigi, thank you! I am so excited to get cooking again. I feel like I have to really catch up to all the other MOFO bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me about muchi curry powder. I've seen it at the health food store, but I don't know much about it. I usually get Madras curry powder in the can, if that's any help.

    I've been meaning to make these falafel for a while now--thanks for the motivation.

    I'm glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeannie,
    I have heard that the muchi curry powder is first cooked in oil to intensify the flavors and then dried and powdered, but I am not 100% sure. I bought it from a spice vendor at my farmer's market. I bought it based purely on the scent (it made my mouth water when I smelled it). I'm sorry I'm not more help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE Vegan Brunch! Haven't found a recipe I don't like in it yet. :) I also love falafel, but for some reason never attempted to make my own. Thx for the tip, I've seen AFR in the store, but couldn't (until now!) justify another vegan cookbook... ;)

    ReplyDelete