25 October 2011

Farmer's Market Quickie - Vegan MoFo #21

As always, I love my farmer's market hugely. Who wouldn't? Ultra fresh produce, friendly farmers, great deals and of course, my spice vendor. They're all perfectly reasonable, uh, reasons for going there at least once a week, but lately I've been a twice-a-weeker. I can't resist. Take today for example. I went looking only for more honeycrisp apples, which have been spectacular here in Michigan this year. I came out with:
  • 5 massive honeycrisp apples - $3.50
  • 3 perfectly ripe bosc pears - $1.00
  • 6 huge carrots - $2.00
  • 1 quart of dried cranberry beans (at least 2 pounds) - $3.00
  • 1 large bell pepper - $0.50
All that yummy food for just $10.00. Had I gotten it at my grocery store, it would have been at least $15.00. This is just part of the reason I buy locally whenever I can. It also supports my community, requires much less oil for transport, as most farms are within 30 miles, instead of cross-country or cross-world, I get to try local heirloom/non-gmo varieties, and I get to eat food that is extremely fresh and in season. Why wouldn't you want to do it?

A year ago today, I posted my recipe for a yummy garlicky hummus! You know you want some :)

2 comments:

  1. Honeycrisp are my favorite. I love my farmers market and just got some great persimmons there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farmer's Markets are the best. That's quite a nice haul!

    ReplyDelete