09 October 2011

Biscuit Queen - Vegan MoFo #9

I am the queen of the simple drop biscuit. See photo above if you don't believe me.

If there is one thing I loathe, it's having to roll out, well, anything. Even pizza dough just gets smooshed down with my bare hands. I hate rolling pins and I hate rolling. Thus, the drop biscuit is king in my world. You just mix some stuff together and use a fork to flop it out onto a baking sheet. I don't have an exact recipe...and I don't use the recommendation on the box. I know when the dough is perfect based on appearance and texture. I've been making these for 20 years, so I know what I'm doing. Sheesh, that makes me sound old. The fact is, that I am only 30, but I started making drop biscuits when I was a kid.

I can't really even classify this as a recipe, since I use no actual measurements. I use about 2 cups of Bisquick. Put it in a mixing bowl. Then add almond milk, maybe 1/2 cup...I don't know. I just keep mixing/combining with a fork until I see no dry spots. For perfect biscuits, you want a stiff dough that's not wet. If it's too wet, add a bit more Bisquick. It's so easy. Heat your oven to 440 degrees F (yes, 440). Cook about 10 minutes on the middle rack. The edges and peaks will be lightly browned. Now slather it with vegan butter and some jam or honey. This batch should make at least 6 biscuits.

See, it's easy. And delicious.

9 comments:

  1. These look GREAT! They would be awesome with gravy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love biscuits. I'm with you the drop biscuit is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when you've been making something for so long that it's just second nature to you and obviously for you it's biscuits! They look good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. now that's a drop biscuit & i'd fo 'sho agree you're the biscuit queen, indeed! i'm not a fan of roll'n deliciousnesses out either. i too smoosh out my pizza dough with my hands - with me be'n gluten-free there really isn't much to roll out ever - it's better smooshed. superw00t!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any gravy recipes? I've never been much of a gravy girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are lovely. Wishing I had one for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love drop biscuits! I usually make a batch of pumpkin ones weekly this time of year. Also - I had no idea bisquick is vegan, this is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why I need more vegan people in my life...I just "assumed" that Bisquick wasn't vegan. Didn't check the box, just assumed it wasn't. It's good to learn things that help you find more foods to eat and cook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Dawn, They were awesome! I hope you make some soon.

    @Katelyn, I am obsessed with drop biscuits. They're so easy and tasty. I've never had pumpkin biscuits before. Do you have a recipe to share?

    @Michelle, I know how you feel! I don't have any vegan (or vegetarian) friends in my "real life." I have lots on twitter, and through blogs, which is very helpful! I am always finding old favorites that are accidentally vegan...like Bisquick!

    ReplyDelete