07 October 2011

Tasty-Ass Hashbrowns - Vegan MoFo #7

Mmm. Yup. Hashbrowns. Don't ask me why I never made them before. I honestly don't know. I always just went to a diner and got them whenever I had a craving. But, the diner version has never been as tasty as these turned out to be. Maybe it's because these were made with love? Or maybe it was the coconut oil. That's probably more likely the case. Whatever, they are super easy and super tasty. In part of the batch, I mixed in some Daiya cheddar shreds and it was lovely. You need these potatoes. Like, now. Enough chatter. On to the recipe!
Serves 3-4 as a side or 2 as a main dish.

What you need:
  • 1/2 bag frozen shredded potatoes (you could probably use fresh, but I don't know)
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 4 cremini/baby bella mushrooms, sliced and chopped
  • 2 TB coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • salt & pepper
  • vegan cheese (optional)
What you do:
  1. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil and let it melt.
  2. Add the onion and bell pepper and let cook about 3 minutes. 
  3. Add the shredded potatoes and mix around to get the oil on the potatoes. Add in the spices and stir again. 
  4. I cooked mine about 8 minutes, added mushrooms and stirred it up. Cook another 6-8 minutes. The potatoes were just a little browned. If you want them crunchier, cook them longer. Add cheese in the last few minutes of cooking so it will melt, but not burn. 
See how easy that was?

    5 comments:

    1. I really like that you used coconut oil instead of olive oil!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Jenna, I am a coconut oil convert. I absolutely love it.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm all about hashbrowns and these look super tasty. I can't believe I've never actually made hashbrowns at home either. weird. I'm off to buy shredded potatoes! :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. That does sound easy and I have all of the ingredients at home just waiting to be used!

      ReplyDelete