22 October 2011

The 3 C Curry - Vegan MoFo #17

It's nearly impossible to get a good photo of curry. This will have to suffice.
What is a 3 C curry you ask? Cauliflower, Coconut & Chickpea curry. And, it's one of the best curries I've ever had. Serve it over some rice and you've got an awesomely heatlhy and tasty dinner.

This morning, at my farmer's market, I got a MASSIVE head of cauliflower for $2.00! I had to have it. Then, after my impulse purchase, I had to figure out what to do with it. Some people buy handbags or candy on impulse, I buy veggies. Don't judge me! Well, I hadn't made curry in quite a while, so I decided that that's what I needed. I got the basis for this here, but I definitely changed it up quite a bit. I served mine over brown rice, and it made enough for 4 meals, no problem.  Enough chatter, on to the recipe!

What you need:
  • 1/2 head large cauliflower cut into florets
  • 1 cup diced carrot
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 1 can rotel or other diced tomatoes with chilis (I drained mine a bit)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 small red onion diced (or half a large one)
  • 1 1/2 TB curry powder- Mine's exceptionally strong muchi curry powder, so you may need more.
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 3-4 TB unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 2 dashes ginger
  • 2 small jalapenos, seeded and minced (completely optional)
  • 1 1/2 TB coconut oil
What you do:
  1. Heat coconut oil in a large skillet (with a lid) over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are somewhat translucent. Then add the curry powder and stir. 
  2. Now add the cauliflower, chickpeas, coconut flakes, jalapeno, rotel, and almond milk and stir well. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium-low and cover with lid. This will help the cauliflower and the carrots steam and soften. Just stir it once or twice to make sure it isn't all sticking to the bottom of the pan. I think I cooked mine like this about 15 minutes, until the cauli and carrots were softened to my liking.
  3. Then remove the lid and let the liquid cook down some. Maybe 5 minutes or so. Then, you're done. Easy. This is why I love curries. The hardest part is waiting for it to get done.
A year ago today, I shared my version of Chickpea Tu-Not Sandwiches! Mmmm. You should try them :)


2 comments:

  1. Put coconut and chickpeas together and I'm allll over it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for dinner tonight. Super yummy. It was a big hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete