27 October 2011

Silly Vegan MoFo Survey - Vegan MoFo #25

What’s your favorite spice or spice blend? Lately, I've become obsessed with cardamom. It smells and tastes incredible! I need more recipes to use it all.

You have $20 to spend on fresh groceries and produce for the whole week (with a fairly well stocked pantry of dry goods, legumes, grains, and spices). What do you buy?  I'd hit the farmers market with my reusable produce bags and search for the in-season goods...HoneyCrisp apples, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, squashes, etc.

What’s your favorite way to make tofu? Scrambled with salsa, veggies and served on tortillas. It's pretty much the only way I can handle the taste of it.

Vegan guilty pleasure? Vegenaise. Lots of it, on occasion. And baked goods.

If you could make anyone vegan, who would it be? Probably the Obama family. It would be nice to see an influential family taking the plunge. It would probably inspire a lot of others to consider the lifestyle.

If you could only read one other vegan blog, what would it be? The Tolerant Vegan. She makes some super duper awesome food. I think we would be good food buddies.

Were you always interested in cooking, or did veganism change the way you saw and interacted with food? I definitely got into cooking after going veg. I feel much more adventurous than I ever did as an omni. I started trying so many more fruits and veggies and grains I never had given a second thought before. So, I am super glad for that.

What is the one vegan staple that everyone seems to love, but you can’t get behind? Soy milk. I absolutely can't stomach the nasty taste.

What was your first “wow, I’m such a stereotypical vegan” moment? Hmmm, probably when I catch myself starting to talk about how awful the meat and dairy industries are when my speech is completely unsolicited.

First recipe you veganized? I think it was a cheeseless pizza made on a pita bread.

What would you like to veganize, but haven’t yet? I really want to veganize the old junk food frozen pizza rolls. I grew up on those things. I think they could be super awesome.

Favorite kitchen utensil/appliance? Vita-Mix blender, hands down.

Most disastrous kitchen failure? I think it was a tofu-based dip of some sort. It was horrificly awful tasting.

First vegan cookbook? My first was Veganomicon when it was first published, even though I wasn't vegan quite yet.

What question about being vegan do you HATE answering? The old crappy protein question. I usually surprise them when I explain that veggies have protein. People honestly don't realize it. Same with calcium. People in my non-veg-friendly locale are shocked that meat and dairy are unnecessary for survival. And, I won't lie, sometimes I don't want to explain, so I say I am extremely allergic to dairy.

If you could tell the world one thing about vegans, what would it be? It would be that we don't necessarily love animals more than people. We just feel the need to protect them. And the earth. And our own bodies. End of story.

Funniest vegetable? Anything that can be phallus-shaped. Hahaha. Truth.


What is a family recipe you have veganized? My old recipe for taquitos was veganized to near perfection. Another favorite was my old chicken potpie, made all veggie and all awesome potpie-ness!

Weirdest food combination? I don't think I do any weird food combos.

Is there something you wish you could veganize, but can’t/couldn’t? Hmmm. I think it would be a really realistic parmesan cheese. I've tried the faux stuff and it is nas-tay.

Favorite ways to prepare tofu, seitan, tempeh, any other vegan proteins? I love making tempeh tacos SOOO much!


Favorite non-dairy milk? It is definitely Almond Breeze almond milk. Best. Milk. Ever.

What’s one “vegan myth” you’d like to squash? That vegan food is boring. I am pretty sure my blog proves it;)

No comments:

Post a Comment