11 October 2011

Tempeh Helper - Vegan MoFo #11


I have been really sick the last few days, so I haven't really felt much like making anything fancy. I was really hungry today, for the first time in a few days, and wanted something easy. After a little searching around, I settled on making the Tempeh Helper recipe from Isa Chandra's cookbook, Appetite for Reduction. The recipe is also posted here on the PPK website.  Because I'm still feeling so crummy, I'm not going to blab on and on or give you the recipe, but I will tell you the changes I made to the recipe to fit my tastes:
  • I used 1 cube of Not-Chik'n bouillon cube in the helper, and half a cube in the cheezy sauce instead of the broth powder in the original.
  • I used mustard powder instead of prepared yellow mustard.
  • Used slightly less thyme and oregano because I don't love them too much.
  • Used about 1 1/2 cup dry pasta (mini shells).
  • Added about 1/2 tsp cumin to the cheezy sauce.
  • Used about 3/4 cup of frozen peas instead of the 1/4 called for.

It really was quite tasty with some bread & butter. When I was a kid, mom always served hamburger helper with a slice of bread and butter. Not sure why, but I couldn't resist doing it with this version. Funny, though, even as a kid, I hated the beef. I would pick around and eat only the noodles and sauce. Anyway, give the tempeh helper a shot. It's not fancy (or pretty), but it does fill your hungry tummy.

6 comments:

  1. Me too, that's why I felt the need to triple the amount. Next time I'll probably add a full cup. They really made the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you're feeling better soon!

    i've seen Isa's tempeh helper, but i've never tried it out. i hope to make it happen soon because i've heard such great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way. I use to LOVE hamburger helper. I am so excited about this. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute that you had the bread and butter on the side because you were served it like that as a kid. I have been eyeing this recipe and also the spaghetti-no's. I think you have me convinced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jessy, Thank you! I am definitely feeling SOOO much better. I'm a big fan of the tempeh helper. I daresay I may like it better now that I'm not so sick!

    @Celyn, Hahaha! I really don't know why mom served the bread and butter, but I love it. And I love silly little dinner traditions.
    As for the spaghetti-nos, I've never seen that recipe! I am definitely going to have to check it out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete