03 October 2011

Spicy Garlic Veggie Stirfry with Cashews - VeganMOFO #3


After a lion of a day at work today, I decided I needed large quantities of veggies. Like, a whole hell of a lot. They always have a way of making me feel super satisfied and cheerful. And, believe me, dudes, I ate a ton of this stirfry over some killer brown rice.

I know, I know, every veg*n starts with stirfry because they're easy. And, while that might be true, I still love me some stirfry. Especially with homemade sauce. Especially especially with lotsa garlic. Especially especially especially with some cashews. Especially especially....well, you get the point. Stirfry has infinite possibilities as far as sauces and veggie combos. I used a boatload of produce, but you can use whatever you have onhand. I planned to add some tempeh to this batch, but I forgot to take it out of the freezer before I went to work. Oops. That's why I added cashews. You caught me. I hereby proclaim that I am not perfect and I do, on occasion, make mistakes.

I have a secret... sometimes, when I'm in a rush, I steam the broccoli and carrots for a few minutes before adding it to the wok, or in my recent life, a large skillet. Sadly, my kitchen cabinets just aren't roomy enough for a full-size wok. Insert frowny face here. So, anyway, I cheat a little bit. But, what I lack in patience for cooking broccoli and carrots, I make up for in the yummy homemade sauce. It's super easy to make and tastes lovely. I add about 2/3 of the sauce to the skillet with the veggies, and add some to the served dishes for some extra spice.

Makes enough for 4-5 as a main dish if served over brown rice.

Sauce: 
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 TB Braggs Aminos
  • 1 TB rice vinegar
  • 3 TB sesame oil
  • 2 TB brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 TB sriracha sauce
  • 5 cloves minced garlic
Mix all the ingredients together and let set while you cook the meal. 

Stirfry:
  • 2 large carrots, sliced 1/8-1/4 inch thick
  • 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
  • 2 baby bok choy, chopped
  • 1 small can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
  • 1 slightly heaped cup of frozen edamame
  • 1/4 of a large red onion, sliced thick
  • 2 large handfuls of snow peas, ends trimmed
  • 2 large handfuls of roasted cashews
  • 4-5 large cremini mushrooms, sliced thick
Heat a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add the veggies and cook for a couple minutes. Then add some sauce. Cook until the veggies are softened to your preference. Serve over some brown rice and add a smidge more sauce to your plate. Chow down.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like such a healthy dinner. I have to admit I don't enjoy stirfrys but maybe that's because I haven't used a sauce like the one you make, thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll try it out!

    ReplyDelete