23 October 2011

My Super Comfort Food Meal - Vegan MoFO #19

Once in a while, I just crave comfort food. We all do. Two of my very favorite foods that I used to love as a kid were coleslaw and mashed potatoes. They always made any bad day into a good day. So I had to make them yesterday. I decided, also, that I wanted to try making a vegan bbq chicken dish that I actually could enjoy. I'm a picky chickpea when it comes to my faux meats. I never much enjoyed actual meat and was really scared to try the fake stuff. But, my dears, I have found that I love Gardein chicken. At least, the ones I've tried so far. Those have inspired confidence and make me want to try more. Not for every meal, mind you, but every once in a while.

The coleslaw was incredibly easy to make, as was the chicken. I just used one 8-oz bag of pre-cut cabbage/carrot mix. Then added about 1/3 cup plus 1 TB vegenaise, a splash of white vinegar, a little celery salt, sugar and salt and pepper. I don't know how much sugar I used, maybe a few TB. See, I grew up on southern style coleslaw...it was sweet and tangy. So, I just kept adding sugar until it tasted right to me.

To make the bbq chicken, I sauteed a bag of Gardein scallopini breasts in a smidge of coconut oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet. It only takes about 6 minutes total. Then, after it was cooked through, I brushed some BBQ sauce on the tops of the breasts (hahaha). I immediately turned the heat to med-low and flipped them over so the sauce side was down. Then brush more sauce on the top and cook for a few minutes more. The sauce on each side soaks into the chicken and makes it awesome. It tastes best in a bit with a little mashed potato and a little sauce from the coleslaw. Or maybe I'm just weird. Whatever. It tasted ultra to me. And if you are one of those people whose foods can't touch and can't be eaten in the same bite, I pity you. I am a food mixer from way back. Class of 81, yo.


Hahaa. There's the proof. Also, isn't it spooky how much that looks like actual chicken?

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, everything looks delicious but I especially love the look of your barbecue chicken. I wish I could get Gardein here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardein chicken is so good! The fake meats freak me out, too. But I totally stand by Gardein. When I first discovered the crispy tenders I ate them like four days in a row, then got so sick of them that I had to lay off for a while. I LOVE that you cooked them in coconut oil. I have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. vegan.in.brighton, Thank you! It really turned out quite nicely. I was surprised because I just wasn't sure if it would work. The fella loved it.

    Nikki, I'm with you. I am in love with Gardein. We had the same experience when we first tried the crispy tenders. Crispy tenders with mashed potatoes, with tater tots, with steamed veg...everything.

    ReplyDelete