02 November 2010

Vegan 3-Bean Crockpot Chili (Vegan MOFO #1)



Vegan MOFO  Day #1!  I'm so excited :)

Holy Delicousness, Batman.  This is the easiest, most flavorful chili I've ever had.  Each time I make it, it turns out a little different since I don't typically measure the ingredients.  But, last night's chili was the best I've ever made.  It was perfectly spicy without burning a hole in anyone's mouths, yet flavorful and with lots of texture.  I've actually never made chili on the stove, so I wouldn't even know where to begin.  Using my crockpot is my preferred method since there's not a ton of work to be done.  As the cheezy informercial says, "just set it and forget it."  Except, I don't recommend forgetting it as it only takes about an hour to cook on high setting.

Anywhooo....  Here's the recipe.  Easily makes enough for 6 servings, more if they aren't heaping bowlsful.

Ingredients:
  • 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15-oz can white beans, drained and rinsed (I usually use Great Northern beans, but any kind will do)
  • 1 15-oz can of chili beans (comes in a spiced sauce)
  • 1 15-oz can of diced tomatoes - I buy the kind that says "chili-ready" with onions and chiles in it
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (or 1 can of corn, drained)
  • 1/2 of a red onion, diced
  • 1/2 of a green pepper, diced
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced very thinly
  • 2 average size stalks celery, chopped small
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
  • dash cinnamon (optional)--tastes good, but I usually forget it
Method: 
  1. Put your crockpot on high setting.  Add your canned goods and corn and stir well.  Put the lid on.
  2. Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat.  When hot, add the carrot, celery, onion, and bell pepper.  Saute until the vegetables are slightly softened.  Add the garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring often so the garlic doesn't stick to the pan.
  3. Add the veggies to the crockpot, along with the spices and stir well.  Cover with lid and cook 1-2 hours, stirring once in a while and adjusting the spices as you go.  Leftovers stay good in the fridge about 2-3 days in an airtight container.  
  4. I tend to serve this chili with fresh garlic bread and some oyster crackers.  It's also good topped with a little raw onion and some Daiya cheese.

3 comments:

  1. Chili is the best! This looks like a great recipe! Happy Mofo'ing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can never have too many chili recipes! This one looks like a winner ^_^ I like the pinch of cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies! A friend took my recipe to a chili cookoff and got 3rd place...the only meatless chili :). I'm not huge on fake meats, but I suppose you could add some faux ground beef. I never tried it, so I can't be held responsible!
    I'm just really glad I found veganism, and happy to be part of the Vegan MOFO!

    ReplyDelete