24 November 2010

Cinnamon Pecan Pancakes -- VeganMOFO #24


What better way to start my day than with some incredible pancakes! My favorite hole-in-the-wall pancake joint closed up a while back and I haven't been able to find any pancakes that compare. Yesterday, that all changed. These vegan pancakes are moist, fluffy and killer tasty. I found the skeleton for the recipe here, but changed things to make them more flavorful and to use my on-hand ingredients. And, I have to say, these are the best pancakes I've ever had. I also added some golden flax meal for additional nutrients (click here for more info on flax). You can really get creative using the base recipe, adding other nuts, fruits, flours and spices. I happened to have some chopped pecans in my cupboard and a boatload of cinnamon, so that's what I used. I think cinnamon apple pancakes are in my future, though. I served mine with just a bit of Earth Balance vegan butter and they were so insanely killer. I'm sure they would be just as tasty with a little maple syrup drizzled over top, but I'm not much of a syrup kind of gal.  These go great with the Potato Onion Hash that I made yesterday-- or probably any sort of breakfast-y potato.

If you've followed my blog, you'll know that I always toast nuts that I'm using in my recipes.  I toss them into a skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.  They start to become aromatic and that's when you know they're done.  Watch them carefully, because they can burn easily.  When done, remove from pan and set aside to stop them from cooking further.  Toasting nuts brings them to an entirely new level of flavor, and they go perfectly in these pancakes.

This recipe makes about 6-7 DVD-sized pancakes.

 Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup, plus 2 TB milk of your choice
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 3 TB sugar (I used 1 & 1/2 TB brown sugar and 1 & 1/2 TB granulated sugar)
  • 1 egg replacement (I used Ener-G)
  • 1 TB golden flax meal (optional - for additional healthy nutrients)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1 & 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
Method:
  1. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients, except the nuts. In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
  2. Pour the wet into the dry, stirring until just combined. It will be a bit lumpy. If you keep stirring the batter here, the pancakes won't be fluffy. Now, gently fold the pecans into the batter.
  3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with a non-stick cooking spray or use a little dollop of your favorite vegan butter.
  4. Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour batter into pan. I used about 1/3 cup for each pancake.
  5. When the batter gets bubbles forming on the top (about 3 minutes), gently flip over with a spatula. Cook about 2 minutes longer, or until both sides are a nice, golden brown. Repeat until your batter is all gone.
  6. Serve these babies up nice and hot with a bit of vegan butter and a glass of juice. You absolutely won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow those look good. I'm on a pancake buzz at the moment.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotta make these for my son -- he loves cinnamon AND pancakes!

    ReplyDelete