04 November 2010

My First Tofu Scramble -- Vegan MOFO #4


I am going to be completely honest here.  I never, ever liked tofu.  Until today.
How did I make it through the last few months of veganism without making a tofu scramble?  No one ever told me that they are astounding.  See, here's the thing: I used to love scrambled eggs, but I got sick whenever I ate them.  Maybe I was allergic.  Whatever.  The point is, this tofu tasted just like my old scrambled eggs without the cruelty, cholesterol or the upset tummy.  Okay, and since I'm being honest, I bought the wondrous Tofu XPress in August, and due to my tofu fear, hadn't used it until today.  It worked amazingly well!


I bought the Indian black salt (Kala Namak) that all the vegans seem to rave about when making eggy-type things.  Totally worth the $2.00 I paid for the ounce of black salt (fine ground) at the farmer's market from my spice guy.  He really thought I was crazy for buying it...even made me smell it.  Yup, smells sulphurous like cooked eggs.  I told him that I was buying it to flavor my tofu and he was skeptical, to say the least.  So, I'll be heading back on Saturday to let him know what a tremendous success it turned out to be.  I served mine up with some toast slathered in Earth Balance spread, but I would think the scramble would be good with any breakfast-y type food.

I apologize for the crummy scramble photo.  I just couldn't seem to get the right light, regardless of how many lights I turned on.  Now, on to the recipe!!

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb tofu, pressed and drained
  • 1 heaping cup red onion, diced
  • 1/3 cup bell pepper, diced
  • 4 white mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 TB olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp turmeric (for color)
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/2 to 3/4 tsp black salt (I started with 1/2 tsp, but added a bit more because it wasn't egg-y enough yet)
  • 2 TB water
  • 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
  • 2 heaping TB nutritional yeast
Method:
  1. Mix the spices in a tiny bowl.  Stir in the water and set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.   
  3. While the oil is heating up, crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces. 
  4. Saute your onions and bell pepper about 4-5 minutes.  Then add the garlic and cook another minute.
  5. Add the tofu to the skillet and stir well.  Cook about 3-4 minutes, then add in the mushrooms. 
  6. Next add the spices (in the water).  Pour over the tofu and stir well.  I added my nutritional yeast here, too.  Cook about 5-7 minutes more, stirring occasionally.  If there is liquid in the bottom of the pan, raise heat slightly and let it evaporate.  Adjust your spices and serve nice and hot.  Maybe next time I'll add a bit of sriracha :)

6 comments:

  1. Yummy. I really love a good tofu scramble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised at how well it turned out. I'm thinking next time of adding some spinach to the mix. I think that would be pretty tasty. And, thank you for stopping by! Have an awesome night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrambled tofu was the first tofu I ever liked, too. I tried it years before I went vegan though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it hilarious that your spice vendor tried to talk you out of buying black salt. Yes, it can be overpoweringly sulfurous, but that's what makes it so perfect for vegan 'egg' dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @VeganSalt I found it quite humorous, too. He was very concerned that I was making a bad decision, which makes me laugh since he's the one who sells the stuff. I actually didn't get to chat with him on Saturday and tell him how well the black salt worked for making tofu eggy. But, I will be back to make sure he knows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. black salt??? that is interesting i will look for that. i just started making scrams this past month, and i love them. only recently learned that i needed a tofu press. seems like the gadget worth getting.

    ReplyDelete