10 November 2010

Gingerbread Waffles -- VeganMOFO #10


Breakfast...something I don't always eat.
Waffles...something I LOVE.
Fresh ginger...something I had lying in my fridge.
Put 'em together and you get a damn fine breakfast treat. 

I slightly adapted this recipe from Vegan Brunch by Ms. Moskowitz.  I ended up adding a bit more flour and more cinnamon, a dash of ginger powder and (accidentally) more molasses.  These waffles are seriously killer.  I don't really like sweet breakfast because it gives me a tummyache, but these waffles were perfect; a hint of sweet.  I am not a big fan of syrup on my waffles, or on anything for that matter, so I just slather a little --okay, kind of a lot-- of Earth Balance on any waffle I eat.  But, actually, these gingerbread waffles needed only a smidge.  My idea smidge may be larger than yours, but you get the point.  I cut the original recipe in half, and ended up with 4 five-inch round waffles.  So, I will share the halved and altered version and you can feel free to double or triple or whatever.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup plain almond milk (or your fave milk)
  • 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 TB canola oil
  • 2 slightly overflowing TB molasses (I used blackstrap because that's what I had on hand)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled and grated (I so LOVE my microplane for this)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp powdered ginger
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground clove
Method:
  1. Preheat your waffle iron.  I always use a cooking spray even though my iron says it's nonstick.  I use it before I put batter in each and every single time.  Otherwise the top of your waffle sticks to the top of your iron.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, use a fork to mix the milk, oil, vinegar, molasses, vanilla and brown sugar.  Mix until the color is homogeneous.  
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together until mostly smooth.  There can be some really small lumps, they'll usually dissolve as they cook.  
  4. I poured 1/2 cup of batter into the center of my sprayed waffle iron and let it spread itself out naturally.  Then closed.  I had mine on setting 5 out of 8, and it beeps to let me know when it's done.  But, follow your waffle iron's cooking directions because they all cook at different times and temperatures.  Also, resist the urge to open the lid before the time is up, because it will split your waffle in half and that is definitely not good.  
  5. Slather with a bit of Earth Balance and tuck in.

    4 comments:

    1. These look really good ...looks like the perfect texture and everything
      i need a waffle maker for xmas!

      ReplyDelete
    2. oh wow! these look fabtastic!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you both! They are fabulous. Caribbeanvegan, I don't know if I could live without my waffle maker! I got mine from my chef uncle last year. It's the Villaware brand, and definitely the best one I've ever owned. I'd definitely ask Santa for one, if I were you.
      Thank you for stopping by!

      ReplyDelete