11 November 2010

Garlicky Chickpea Spinach Soup -- VeganMOFO #11


After searching the internet, specifically FoodGawker, I came across a delicious-looking recipe for a chickpea garlic soup on Needful Things's blog.  It looked a bit creamy, which actually scared me a little because the recipe called for cream.  Well, eating vegan means no cow's milk, which means no cream.  So, I sent out a distress call on Twitter and had an overwhelming response from numerous tweeters (I love my Twitter peeps!).  One in particular stood out: @EpicurVegan said to try coconut milk as a replacement, which was promptly seconded by a few other folks.  If Twitter pals say it, it must be true, right?

Like the original source for this soup recipe says, it's good for cleaning out your fridge!  I used up half a bunch of spinach that was headed south and a couple of Idaho potatoes from my fridge and some onion and garlic from my counter top.  Even better was the fact that I had a can of reduced fat coconut milk sitting in my cupboard waiting patiently to be used.  I bought it on a whim and never even thought about how I would use it.  So, it was perfect! 

I definitely altered the recipe in several ways, so I will post my version here.  I added quite a bit more spice because that's just how I roll.  I loooooove spices.  I also added more garlic and tahini.  Anywhoooo, here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 yellow onion, diced or roughly chopped
  • 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 average-size Idaho potatoes, scrubbed and diced small (about 1/3 inch cubes)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 3/4 TB cornstarch
  • 2/3 cup reduced fat coconut milk
  • 2 1/2 TB tahini
  • 1/2 bunch of spinach - about 6-8 oz-, stems cut off and shredded (don't forget to wash very well!)
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
  • 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
  • 1 tsp sea salt
Method:
  1. Heat oil over med-high heat in a stock pot or very large sauce pan.  I used an enameled cast iron stock pot.
  2. After heating for 2 minutes, I added the onion.  Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until softened.  Then add your garlic and stir again.  Cook 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add in the dry spices.  Stir.
  4. Add the broth and potatoes.  Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes.  Then add in the chickpeas.  Cook another 5-ish minutes.  Check your potatoes.  You want them to be fork-tender.  Not hard, but not mush either.
  5. In a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, cornstarch and tahini.  Once it is all combined, stir the mixture into the soup and add the spinach.  Cook about 3-4 minutes so the soup thickens and the spinach wilts.  Check the flavor and add more spices as necessary.  I added a bit more garlic salt and a dash more cumin.  We ate ours with some garlic bread because nothing goes better with a garlicky soup than garlic bread!  The crust is perfect as a soup crouton. Enjoy!!

7 comments:

  1. Oh this looks awesome! Spinach, chickpeas AND coconut milk get the 3 thumbs up from me.
    oO

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by! The soup is great, and I'm hoping the leftovers are even better heated up today as the ingredients had all night to intensiy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carrie. I used canned because I can't find jugs of So Delicious locally right now. The local health food shop has ordered some, though. So I'm sure I'll be using it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! i've never met a chickpea i didn't like....and when you add all that garlicky goodness into the mix....oh!

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice recipe, love all the ingredients can imagine the aroma as this soup is cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The house smelled wonderful while it was cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ! Sorry it took me so long to visit your blog and check out this recipe! I've been away from blog-land apart from some obligatory posts (baking groups etc) & I've had no time to check out other blogs.
    I'm so glad you enjoyed the soup! And you've reminded me of how much I loved it & that I need to make it again soon.

    ReplyDelete