14 November 2010

Double Chocolate Pecan Cookies -- VeganMOFO #14


By popular demand, I am sharing my ultra-top secret recipe for my vegan Double Chocolate Pecan cookies.  They taste like brownies, but come in convenient cookie size.  If you add a tiny bit more flour, they stay more brownie-like in consistency, add a bit more butter, and they get a bit thinner and crispier around the edges.  I like them both ways, so this recipe is sort of an in-between of the two.  I always toast my pecans in a skillet over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes stirring often so they don't burn.  It brings the taste of the pecans to an entirely new level.  You can also cut the salt amount in half, but I love a tiny hint of salt taste to accompany the sweet chocolate taste.  But, maybe that's just me.  And, since the batter has no raw eggs, feel free to eat a bunch and only bake a little.  It's really that good.  Everyone who's tried these amazing cookies has begged for more, omni or not.  So, I think it's safe to say that I rule for creating them. HAHA.  I crack me up.  But, really, they are freaking wonderful.

This recipe is for 18-25 cookies, depending on the size you make them.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 TB Earth Balance butter, don't melt, but soften for a bit
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg replacement (I use Ener-G)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 TB unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 bag semisweet vegan chocolate chips
  • 1 cup of toasted, chopped pecans
Method: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silicone mat. Depending on the size of the cookie sheet, you may need to use two. 
  2. In mixing bowl, cream together butter and both sugars with an electric hand mixer until fluffy.  Add in the egg replacement and vanilla, then beat well.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.  Then,  slowly blend the dry ingredients into the moist using the hand mixer until just combined (no visible dry spots).
  4. Gently fold the chocolate chips and the toasted pecans into the mix with a wooden spoon. 
  5. Scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet, leaving the scoops at least 1 inch apart.  You'll need more space if you've decided to add more butter, as they will spread out more.  Cook 10-14 minutes, depending on the size.  I use the toothpick test to determine doneness.  The cookies puff while cooking, then flatten somewhat after you remove them from the oven.
  6. Let cool about 5 minutes on an cooling rack...if you can.  I dare you to wait the full 5 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Those look seriously good - I've bookmarked your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UM these look ridonk good. that's like, better than amazingly yummy good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! They really are huge amounts of amazing. Once I start eating them, I can't stop.

    ReplyDelete