12 November 2010

Quesadillas & Guacamole -- VeganMOFO #12


I made a pot of delicious soup yesterday and, yes, I do have leftovers to eat.  But, I got an idea in my head that I just couldn't get out.  I needed to make a quesadilla...yes NEEDED.  I already had all the supplies here: Daiya, tortillas, vegetarian refried beans, and an avocado that was quickly becoming too ripe.  Avocados are around $2.00 each here, and I just can't let them go to waste.

Actually, I hate letting any food go to waste, especially after reading about the huge amount of food wasted in the US - food that could go toward feeding the hungry.  And, truthfully, I worked hard for my grocery money and I don't want to throw it in the trash.  Avoiding food waste also makes me get creative with my meals because I start putting stuff together that I may not have thought of before.  I put a bit of lettuce on my quesadilla tonight and I wouldn't have thought of it if I hadn't been trying to use up some leftover iceberg.

This recipe makes 2 six-inch quesadillas.

Ingredients:
  • 4 six-inch flour quesadillas
  • 1/2 of a can of vegetarian refried beans (the "traditional" beans have lard in them...ick)
  • 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and mashed in a bowl
  • 4 green onions, sliced into rounds (I used the white and light green parts only)
  • 2-3 white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup of Daiya shreds, but you can use any brand and amount that makes your happy (I used the cheddar and mozzarella combined)
  • 1/4 cup salsa of your choice
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
Method:
  1. Mash your avocado in a bowl with a fork.  Add about half of the green onions and the salsa.  It's my guacamole cheat for when I don't plan it out better.  Add the lemon juice and mix well.  Set aside.
  2. Lightly spray a nonstick frying pan.  
  3. Spread half of the beans on one tortilla and half on another.  Put one of them in the frying pan, bean side up, obviously.  Sprinkle some mushrooms and green onion on the beans, and gently press them down.  Then add half of the Daiya and top with a tortilla.  
  4. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, then carefully flip the quesadilla over and cook another 2-3 minutes, or until your tortilla is golden and a bit crispy on each side.  Here's where I added the lettuce.  I very gently peeled the tortillas apart and slipped some lettuce inside and put it back together again.  It gives the quesadilla a nice bit of crunch.
  5. Repeat the process with the other tortillas.  I've found that the easiest way to cut quesadillas is with a pizza cutter.  Serve with the cheater's guacamole. 

1 comment:

  1. these look yummy. i'm usually making these for my big kids (8 and 10) when we are making dinner, and they arent interested in trying our vegan meal. rarely do i make these for us, but this recipe looks delish. i think i should just make these for everyone and tel them to suck it up, and enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete