20 November 2010

Quick Pickles -- Vegan MOFO #20


One of my favorite things to munch is pickles-- salty, tangy pickles.  So, when I went to a pal's house last summer and she had these pickles, I ate almost the whole bowl.  These quick pickles take about 5 minutes to make and are ready to be munched within about an hour.  They don't really hold up to sitting in the fridge for days, so make them about an hour before a meal.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cucumber, thinly sliced (You can leave the skin on if you choose)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup red onion, sliced or diced to your preferred size
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste.  
Method:
  1. Place your cucumber slices and onion in a large bowl.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir very well.  I actually stir for about a minute, flipping the cuke slices around to make sure they all get in the juice.
  3. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes, or longer if you choose.  I usually can't wait the whole hour, and keep doing "quality control" checks to make sure they taste yummy.  I know, I know, I made that up.  I just can't keep my fingers out of the bowl.  I have poor impulse control when it comes to pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment