03 November 2010

Cornbread Biscuits - Vegan MOFO #3

Vegan Cornbread Biscuits

It is quite chilly here today, so I was craving something warm and snuggly.  Well, not snuggly, per se, but like a warm hug for my hungry belly.  I spent about 2 hours flipping endlessly through my vegan cookbook collection trying to find the perfect thing to make.  Then, I stumbled upon Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recipe for Cornbread Biscuits and I couldn't say no.  I needed them. A Huge THANK YOU to Isa Chandra because these babies are stellar.  The recipe, can be found in her cookbook, Vegan Brunch.

The recipe makes a lot more than I thought it would.  I made ours into 12 huge drop-style biscuits (think Bisquick drop biscuits).  They're very filling, soft and moist inside with a slightly crisp outside.  YUM!  Perfect with a hint of sweetness, without being sugary.  I am a raving loon for these biscuits, so I will shut up and share the perfect recipe now....

Ms. Moskowitz's Recipe: (Makes 12 huge biscuits or a ton of smaller ones)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 TB baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well.
  3. Gently mix in the wet ingredients until just combined with few/no dry spots.  The dough will be pretty thick and heavy.
  4. Using a large spoon to scoop out the dough onto a baking sheet.  Like I said before, mine were huge, but make them whatever size you want.  Because of the size of mine, they cooked for about 18 minutes.  Smaller biscuits will bake much more quickly, about 12-14 minutes.  These biscuits don't really brown when they cook, so just feel the tops -- when they're firm, your biscuits are done.  Slather with some Earth Balance and tuck in.  Oh, they also go well with anything spicy, like chili. 

No comments:

Post a Comment