08 November 2010

3-Layer Tortilla Casserole -- Vegan MOFO #8



There are some dishes that a person can't live without, and this is probably one of those dishes.  I really love the way this one turned out.  And, it is really so easy to make.  I found the basis for this recipe in a cookbook called The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook by Dr. Neal Barnard.  I only made a few changes to his version, primarily adding more spice and a bit more veg.  My husband also loved it and said I should make it again soon, and he isn't the biggest bean fan in general.  So, for me, that is definitely a success.  I used my rice cooker and made some brown rice for a side, although I suppose you could use some tortilla chips if you'd rather.  Score 1 for a healthy dinner!

This recipe makes 4 large servings or 6-8 small ones.

Ingredients:
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth (I had vegetable stock so I used that instead)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 medium red onion, diced
  • 2 cups diced zucchini (I used half yellow squash and half zucchini)
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1/3 cup diced bell pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1-2 TB fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 3 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
  • 3/4 to 1 cup of your favorite chunky salsa
  • Salt and fresh cracked pepper to your liking
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder 
Method:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Using a food processor, puree the beans, garlic, 1/4 cup vegetable broth and cayenne pepper. Blend until smooth and thick.
  3. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of broth in a large skillet (I used my cast iron skillet). Add the onion, bell pepper and zucchini and saute for 5-6 minutes, until the onions are translucent and pepper and zucchini are softened somewhat. Be sure to stir the veg regularly so none sticks to the bottom of the pan.
  4. Add the corn, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and the onion and garlic powder (if using).
  5. Place 1 tortilla in the bottom of the pie. Spread 1/3 of the pureed bean mixture onto the tortilla.
  6. Scoop 1/3 of the sauteed veg onto the beans.
  7. Scoop 1/3 of the salsa onto the top of the veg mix.
  8. Place a tortilla on top of the salsa, and press down slightly to even out the layer and make it smoother. Then repeat the process 2 more times. Until your casserole is 3 layers tall and looks like this:
  9. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Cut into quarters and use a pie server to get the pieces out of the pan more easily. This casserole is great by itself, but it also goes really well with brown rice. Maybe next time I'll make some guacamole to put on top of the casserole when I serve it..I think that would be lovely :)

1 comment: