05 November 2010

Tortilla Lime Soup -- Vegan MOFO #5

Tortilla Lime Soup after adding Rice, Avocado and Tortillas

Terrible photo, I know. But, it was Girl's Night In at my place and I didn't have time to get all arty with the soup pics.  I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow with the tiny bit of leftovers.  This was my first time trying this exact recipe and it was a HUGE success among my non-vegan friends. No one even mentioned that the chicken was "missing." I really like my soup with a kick, so I added cayenne pepper and chili powder to the pot. This soup is absolutely fabulous and almost completely fat-free (at least it is if you don't add the avocado chunks).  There is something really perfect about dicing an avocado small and dropping them into your soup when you're about to tuck in.  They're creamy and perfectly balance the acidity of the soup.  I definitely recommend trying it for yourself.  Another of my favorite things is to add some cooked brown rice to my bowl of soup when I'm serving it.  I seem to always have cooked brown rice in my fridge, so I popped it in the microwave when the soup was almost done cooking.  It gives the soup a really nice texture. 

Which brings me to the next part.  I emphatically LOVE making my own tortilla chips for this soup.  They taste better than the greasy ones from the store.  It's super duper easy.  Cut the tortillas (corn or flour--I like the flour best) into strips or wedges.  Lay in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Spray tops lightly with some cooking spray, and sprinkle sea salt on them.  Pop them in a 350 degree F oven for about 10 minutes, or until they are crispy and lightly browned.  I make them when the soup is almost done and serve them hot.  

Ingredients:  Serves 5-6
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 medium-size red onion, diced
  • 2 heaping TB finely-chopped cilantro (or more if you like it a lot)
  • 3 TB fresh lime juice
  • 1-2 fresh serrano chiles, seeded and minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 1/4 cup salsa verde (or a 4-oz can of diced green chiles)
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 to 3/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 to 3/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1 avocado, diced (optional, but highly recommended)
  • 4-5 flour or corn tortillas cut into strips (optional) Or store-bought tortilla chips
Method:
  1. Start by getting your soup pot on the stove and turning to medium heat.  Add in your oil and warm for at least 2 minutes.  
  2. Add in the onion and cook about 4-5 minutes.  Then, add in the garlic and chilies.  Stir well and cook about 3 minutes.  
  3. Add the broth, tomatoes and salsa verde and mix.  Then add your spices, cilantro and lime juice, adding the cayenne just a bit at a time if you're conservative with the spiciness.  
  4. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil.  Once it starts boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and cover.  Let simmer about 20 minutes.  Adjust your spices.  I added a dash of garlic salt to mine.
  5. After your soup has been simmering away for 10 minutes, cook your tortilla strips.  
  6.  Serve up your soup with the rice and some avocado cubes.  I like to use the cooked tortilla strips like crackers, adding a bit of crunch to my soup.  I hope you enjoy :)
 Tortilla Lime Soup pre-Rice, Avocado & Tortilla

    4 comments:

    1. This sounds delicious! I'm glad it was such a success!

      ReplyDelete
    2. you had me at lime and soup. add avocado and cayenne and I'm in heaven.

      I like your homemade tortilla idea.

      ReplyDelete
    3. What MeShell said! I'm definitely saving this recipe. Cheers!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thank you, guys! It is a spectacular soup. I had the rest of the leftover soup today and it was actually a bit better than it was yesterday. If you try out the recipe, let me know how you like it. All my peeps last night were crazy for it.

      ReplyDelete