04 March 2011

Spicy Pintos

Pinto beans...they're not just from a can anymore! That's right; I have made the yummiest spicy pinto beans ever, and if you disagree, then you can leave now. Take that! Not really. I'm thankful that you're here, but being sassy is my thing. So, yes, the beans... Really, though, these pintos are killer. I will not be going back to buying canned "refried" beans again. They have far too much sodium and are pretty oily. And, if you don't buy ones that specifically say "vegetarian," you're eating lard. No joke. Really. Look at the cans next time you hit the bean aisle. Gross, dude.

So, I have a little crockpot, which is what I used to heat the (already-cooked) pintos and the sauteed other veg. You could cook yours on a pot on the stove with a lid as I'm assuming it would come out the same. Though, don't blame me if it doesn't. I haven't made them that way. So, yeah. That's my story. Beans. They're yummy. Make them. Or not. It really doesn't matter to me. I know they're excellent and you'll never experience the joy of my spicy pintos if you don't make them. Your loss.

Makes enough for 3-4 as a side.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
  • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup white onion, diced small
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cumin
  • dash cayenne
  • water as needed (I like my beans hearty and thick, so I added about 2 TB, add more to thin them out to your preferences)
  • salt
 Method:
  1. Add the beans, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne and 2 TB water to a small crockpot on low or regular pot (with lid) over a low heat.
  2. Heat a small non-stick skillet, over medium heat. Spritz pan with a tiny bit of cooking spray. Add the onion and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the onion is softened and translucent. Then add the garlic. Cook about 2 minutes.
  3. Add the onion/garlic/jalapenos to the beans and stir well. I used a potato masher and partially smooshed the beans. I like some whole beans to give it texture, but you can completely smoosh if you want. Add any additional water if you want to thin the beans out. Cook about 45 minutes. Add some salt to your tastes. And, you're done. 
Easy and delicious. It's my specialty. Or whatever.

3 comments:

  1. I love pinto beans. Looking at your ingredients and method, and since I would start with dried beans, I'm thinking I could make this in the pressure cooker in about 15 minutes. I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Too bad I'm seriously scared of pressure cookers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked to this recipe on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete