22 March 2011

Black Bean Tacos (my latest addiction)

You may or may not realize that I am a complete and total taco junky. I could pretty much eat tacos everyday and never tire of them. You can make them so many ways with different spices, toppings and fillings that the combinations are virtually endless. Wow. I sound like a commercial. But, really, you can make them however you want, made with whatever you want. And that always makes me a happy chickpea because I am so ridiculously picky about my food. Yes, I am quite demanding, too. I like things to be my way or the highway, as the saying goes.

If you insist, I suppose you could use canned beans to make these yummy concoctions, but I do suggest soaking/cooking them yourself. They just seem to have so much more flavor and texture than the canned beans. But, by all means, do what you want. I can't make you do it my way...though I do know that my methods are far superior. Ha. While I'm thinking of it, you could use a powdered taco spice mix packet from the grocery store if you don't have the spices onhand. See! I am so helpful! Though, I will caution you that not all of those packets are vegan, so read the ingredient list well. If you're unsure about some of the ingredients, @VeganMachine prints tiny guides and mails them for free. They fit perfectly in your wallet or pocket for easy reference. I use mine all the time at the grocery store.

Depending on how full you fill your shells, this recipe easily yields 8-12 tacos. And it re-heats nicely in a covered bowl the next day.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked black beans, semi-mashed (you can leave them whole, but they'll fall out of the shells)
  • 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-2 TB lemon juice
  • 1 TB Braggs or soy sauce
  • 2 TB medium taco sauce
  • 1 TB cumin
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I maybe added more....)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 to 1 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/8 tsp sage
  • salt and pepper to your tastes
Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red pepper flakes, onion and jalapeno. Saute about 4 minutes, then add the garlic. Stir and cook another 2-3 minutes. Then lower heat just a smidge.
  2. Add all of the other ingredients and stir regularly, cooking about 10-15 minutes. Taste occasionally and adjust spices as needed. Make sure it's heated through and serve up on warmed taco shells.
Done. Easy as can be. Add whatever toppings you want and you're all set. You're welcome. Hahaha

    No comments:

    Post a Comment