06 March 2011

Veggie Fried Rice (It was my first time)


Do not mock me when I tell you this secret! I have never ever made a fried rice dish until tonight. How very un-vegan of me, I know. I originally wanted to make something lentily. Yes, lentily is a word! I wouldn't lie to you. However, nothing really sounded good and I didn't have much in terms of fresh veg that I could cook it with. So, anyway, back to the dinner. I had some cooked brown rice (brown basmati, to be exact) in my fridge and I hated to let it go to waste, so I decided to do something ricey. Again, it's a word. Deal with it!

Now, I've made loads of stir-fries in my day, as most vegans have. But, I always just served them with a side of rice, didn't even think to mix them together while cooking. How very lame and un-creative of me. I'm thinking next time I may be tempted to add some water chestnuts and a bit of shredded cabbage along with anything else I may have lying around, which was definitely not much today. That's primarily because I haven't been much in the mood for a big grocery shopping trip as this Chickpea has been avoiding going into the cold because I am boycotting Winter. Sadly, Winter doesn't seem to notice or care that I am eager for Spring. Whatever. Winter is an old jerk. Bring on the Spring says I!

One tip: I heated my rice in my microwave for 90 seconds (prior to frying) with 1 TB of water and covered in plastic wrap as it had dried out a bit. So, you may want to try that, or just add some water to the skillet when you add the rice. Whatever floats your kayak.

Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice or rice of your choice
  • 1 heaping cup frozen edamame (I only buy the already shelled kind)
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced small
  • 1 medium carrot, very thinly sliced
  • 5-6 large button mushrooms, roughly chopped
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 TB sesame oil
  • 2-3 TB Braggs or soy sauce to your tastes
  • 3/4 tsp rice vinegar (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
Method:
  1. Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the red pepper flakes to the oil. After 3 minutes, add the carrot and onion, and stir. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the frozen edamame and garlic and cook 2 minutes. 
  2. Add the mushrooms, 1 TB of the Braggs, rice vinegar, and spices and mix well. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
  3. Add the rice and the rest of the Braggs and mix well. I cooked mine about 7 minutes so the rice could absorb and meld with the flavor of the sauce and veggies. I spritzed a bit more Braggs on mine once I served it. I am a Braggs addict! I literally cannot resist. Gotta problem with that?
Feel free to add in whatever else you might want. I'm sure it would be very yummy. And if it isn't, well, that's all your fault. Hahahah!

1 comment:

  1. I also never have made fried rice. This looks like a wonderful stir fry!

    ReplyDelete