12 March 2011

Banana Nut Pancakes


I have really been addicted to making pancakes lately, and really, who the hell doesn't love pancakes? They're so easy and so tasty, and leftovers heat up nicely in the microwave. You can use any fruit you have laying around, I guess, but an overripe banana add sweetness without having to add additional sugar. Plus, I am always looking for recipes to use up the bananas I forget to eat. Additionally, I had a handful of walnuts that were close to their expiration date, too, so I used them up. Thus, Banana Walnut Pancakes were born! I will definitely make these tasty babies again soon. They taste a bit like banana nut bread in pancake form...YUM! You can't resist. Really, you can't. I've embedded this page with hypnotic messages that you can't ignore. Muahaahaaaaaa! My evil plan is coming together nicely.

As always, they are probably tasty drizzled in maple syrup, but I am not much of a sweet breakfast kind of girl. So, I just slather on a little (or maybe a lot) of Earth Balance and chow down. You may do whatever you want. I guess. But, just so you know, if you ask me I will tell you that my way is best. Because it is.

This recipe will make about ten 4-inch pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/2 tsp (heaping) cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • a shake or two of nutmeg
  • 1 over-ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (I toasted mine in the oven for about 10 minutes @ 350 degrees F)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  •  Ener-G egg replaceer totaling 1 egg, mixed and ready to be used
  • cooking spray or a bit of Earth Balance to grease the pan
Method:
  1. Mix your flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl.
  2. In another bowl, mix your milk, oil, vanilla, and egg replacer well.
  3. Mash your banana very well with a fork and add to your wet bowl. Mix well.
  4. Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredient bowl. I used a whisk to combine until there were no dry powders visible. Be careful not to overmix or else your pancakes will not poof up when you cook them. Your batter should be kind of lumpy.
  5. Fold in your walnuts.
  6. Heat a non-stick skillet/frying pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes before adding batter. Spray with your cooking spray or a drop few small dabs of Earth Balance where you will be pouring your batter.
  7. Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour your batter onto the hot pan. Once the batter starts to get medium-sized bubbles in their middles (about 3-4 minutes), gently use your spatula to flip the pancakes over. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until the bottoms are browned to your liking.
  8. Serve the pancakes up with some butter and maple syrup (if you must). 
If you use maple syrup, let me know what you think of it. Also, I'd like to know: do you smother with syrup or just drizzle some on top? I'm inexperienced in such syrupy matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment