29 March 2011

Potato-y Soup for One

My pal, Meagan of Experiments in the Kitchen, posted a potato soup for one recipe on her blog a few days ago, and it sounded really good, so I had to try it...but altered. I can't help it! I can never follow a recipe exactly. It's my own brand of OCD, I suppose. Anyway, I needed some warm, comforting soup and this absolutely fit the bill. It's thick and creamy and downright tasty. Not to mention the fact that it takes only about 15 minutes start to finish.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large red-skin potato, peeled and diced 
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup cooked navy beans
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2/3 cup soy or almond milk
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne
  • dash sage
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
  • dash oregano & thyme
  • 1 tsp flour
  • 1/4 cup Daiya mozzarella (I would've used the cheddar if I had any)
  • salt and pepper
Method:
  1. In a small pot, boil the potato and carrot in some salted water. 
  2. While the potato and carrot are boiling, heat the oil in a small skillet (medium heat) and saute the onion and garlic until the onion is softened and transparent. I added the spices to the cooking onion. Then set aside. 
  3. Drain the potato and carrot, and mash with a potato masher or a fork in the pan you cooked it in. Add half of the beans, and mash a bit more. Then add the onion/garlic to the mashed mix. Add the milk, cheese and flour and mix well. Return the pot to the heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, until the soup is thickened and the cheese melted. Adjust your seasonings and pig out.

3 comments:

  1. You are so good!! :) Every recipe you post, I add to my collection of things to try!! :)

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll have to add some beans to it next time I make it and see how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jessica! I love your site :)

    ReplyDelete