30 March 2011

French Toast ala Happy Herbivore


So, I finally tried it. I made the french toast from The Happy Herbivore Cookboook. And it was quite tasty. I was skeptical, but it turned out to be very good. And, really, rather healthy as far as calories and fat go.  Although, to be honest, I don't care much about counting calories and fat. I eat what I like and I get exercise, so whatever. But, that's just me though. Maybe you are obsessively counting every calorie, in which case, you probably aren't eating carbs so you wouldn't even be looking for a bread recipe. I digress.



I was quite surprised at how much the taste and texture resembled the french toast I used to make years ago. I like mine a little crispy around the edges and a bit mushy in the middle, which is exactly how this turned out. I also served it with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a tiny bit of maple syrup. Yum yum. I actually did change a couple of things about the recipe, which I should note for you.
  1. I didn't use nutmeg because I don't really like it.
  2. I added extra cinnamon because I love it.
  3. I used almond milk because I don't enjoy soy milk, though I did accidentally purchase it when the grocery store moved it next to my almond milk. Damn them!
  4. The recipe doesn't say what temp to cook your toast at, so I used medium and it worked perfectly.
  5. I also flipped mine several times to make sure it cooked to my liking.
The recipe isn't mine to share, so if you'd like the recipe, you should definitely snag the cookbook from your local bookseller or (my personal favorite) your local public library. It's definitely worth it!! The recipe for the French Toast is page 24 of The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free & Low-Fat Vegan Recipes.

Also, this is my Marley and she is cuter than yours. hahaha!

2 comments:

  1. this is probably my most common recipe from HH that I create! it's so easy and delicious. I did have similar concerns about the texture, but I usually just burn it and then drown it in maple syrup, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Jared. I will definitely be using this recipe often!

    ReplyDelete