27 February 2011

Taquitos (That Will Blow Your Mind to Bits)


Back in ye olden days, I used to make a stellar taquito. Yeah, it's probably not "traditional" or anything, but it is absolutely fucking delicious. I didn't know if I could veganize it to my satisfaction, being the picky chickpea that I am. So, as I lay in bed falling asleep last night, I vowed to give it my best shot. Lucky for me, and you, I got it right on the first try. I rock at veganizing my old recipes!

There's this silly notion out there that vegan food is always healthy. I promise you that this is NOT the case. Case in point: these taquitos. They can't possibly be healthy with all that cheese! But, they are so yummy that you will surely thank me. And if you don't, well, forget you. You should be thankful when people offer you such wonderful recipes for free!


This recipe easily makes 12-15 taquitos depending on how full you fill the tortillas. I find that I am quite full if I eat 4. So, either have friends or save your leftovers. They are excellent re-heated in your oven the next day for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. I haven't frozen them, but I imagine they would hold up and need to be cooked for about 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven (but don't quote me since I've never had to freeze them before). Anyway, I'm not feeling chatty. On to the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 15 flour tortillas (buy the 6-inch size tortillas)
  • 6 oz Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, which is a 3/4 the 8oz package
  • 1/2 bag Daiya cheddar
  • 1/2 bag Daiya mozzarella
  • 2 Gardein scallopinis
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
  • 3/4 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1 1/2 TB garlic, minced
  • 1 TB olive oil, along with a little olive oil cooking spray
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup salsa verde
  • 1 TB Braggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • pepper
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil.
  2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and bell pepper. Saute for about 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and scoot the mix to one side of the pan.
  3. Spray a bit of cooking oil on the empty side of the pan and put the 2 Gardein scallopinis on to cook for about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the onion, pepper, garlic around.
  4. In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, cheese, salsa verde, spices. Set aside.
  5. Spray the tops of the Gardein scallopinis. Flip and cook another 2 minutes. Scoop the onion mixture out into the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
  6. Remove the Gardein and dice into tiny bits. Then add to the bowl. Use a potato masher to really combine all of the ingredients until it looks something like this:
  7. Heat your tortillas on a plate and cover with paper towel. Use the microwave for about 20 seconds. This will keep your tortillas from breaking when you roll them. One by one, you need to scoop some filling onto the tortilla (probably a bit less than 1/4 cup on each one) near one end. 
  8. Start rolling the taquito from the filled end. The empty side of the tortilla will need to end up rolled up underneath the filled taquito, if that makes sense. This will hold the taquito shut while cooking. 
  9. Lightly spray the tops of the rolled taquitos with the olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with a large grain salt. I use kosher salt. 
  10. Bake for 14-18 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned and the filling is probably coming out the ends :)


They're perfect served alone or with salsa or vegan sour cream. Maybe even guacamole. How should I know what you like?

11 comments:

  1. These look crazy good! Haven't tried the gardein scallopini yet, but I feel like I need too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't love the scallopini by itself, but serving it in things works really well for a bit of texture and taste. And, they work PERFECTLY in these taquitos. I'm already looking forward to leftovers tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks tasty!

    However, did you know tofutti has trans fat? You may want to consider making it from tofu--its really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mary!
    I am aware of the unhealthy nature of Tofutti, and it is a rare purchase for me. However, I have tried making a cream cheese with tofu and was greatly dissatisfied with taste and texture. But, thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look AMAZING and now this is all I want for dinner!! Sadly, dinner plans are already made. :S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um yeah, these look and sound crazy good. Must try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We actually ended up making these, seriously by far the best taquitos I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After I saw your post on Instagram, I headed right to this post. I have to eat these, asap. What a delicious looking recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made a twin batch of these, only i replaced the cheddar with pepper jack daiya and one batch was made with my Vegan jerk seitan steak. They turned out amazing. A gooey tasty crunchy mouthgasm!!!! definitely the best taquito i have ever had. I made a fresh locally sourced guac and some spicy sourcream(^^siracha & Veganaise^^) next time i'm thinking of using a little re-fried bean spread on the tortillas. We often have left over black beans from burrito night.

    Thank you again for your awesome insight into vegan cuisine.

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  10. FYI in case you haven't already figured it out, these freeze amazingly well! SOO DELICIOUS, thank you for sharing!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete