15 February 2011

My Veggie Potpie (can kick your potpie's ass)


There are few things I love better than a good potpie (or is that pot pie?). Actually, that was a lie, as I love many more things than potpie. But I refuse to apologize! Why? Because this is my fucking blog and I am a malevolent dictator of said blog. So, potpie, it is magnificent and tasty and probably one of my most favorite comfort foods of all time. And, that, is not a lie.

I like my potpie with flavor, which all frozen potpies lack. Why waste my time eating something that tastes like shit? I absolutely refuse to have a bland dinner. So, I add some curry powder to my filling, which gives it a mildly-spiced, amazing-scented, kick-assedness. Or whatever. It rocks. I suggest using a homemade crust because it turned out SO much better than the pre-made, frozen crusts and puff pastries I used in the past. My friend, Meagan, sent me this recipe for the crust, which I halved because I didn't have enough Earth Balance to make a double crust and I didn't feel like going to the store. I ran 3.2 miles on my dreadmill (ha) today and got lazy afterward. So, cut a chickpea some slack, dude!

If you decide to make your own crust, make it before starting the filling and put it in the fridge until it's time to use it. For a flakier crust, you'll want a cold dough where the butter and shortening haven't melted. I used a pastry cutter to blend the ingredients in a large bowl until pretty well combined. Then I quickly mushed it all together by hand and wrapped it tightly in some plastic wrap. When I was done cooking the potpie filling, I rolled out the crust and put it on top of the pie plate. Don't fuck it up and forget to use lots of flour on the countertop otherwise you will have a hell of a time getting the crust off the counter. Learn from my mistake. Or not. Whatever.

This recipe is for one 9-inch potpie. I used an enameled stoneware pie plate for the potpie. You can use whatever you want. Maybe an 8x8-inch casserole or something? Speaking of using whatever you want, you can use whatever veggies you want in this potpie. I used what I had on-hand. Get creative or something!

On to the recipe. And, yes, it does include chickpeas!


Ingredients:
  • At least 1 crust, in the fridge until later
  • 2 TB olive oil
  • 1/2-2/3 cup diced onion
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 5 button mushrooms, sliced thinly
  • 1 large & 1 small potato, peeled, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas (use canned if you must)
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup-slightly heaping- frozen lima beans
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 1/2 TB flour
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 3/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 3/4 tsp curry powder, though I added a few shakes more to taste before baking the pie
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
  • salt
 Method: 
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Boil a medium-sized pot of salted water. Add the carrots and potatoes and cook about 10 minutes. Check for them to be softened and then drain. 
  3. While the potatoes and carrots are boiling, get a large skillet. I use one with straight sides so I don't spill anything to my glass cooktop, which can be a complete bitch to clean. Anywhoooo...put the skillet on a medium heat. Add half the oil.
  4. Now add the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes. Then add in your garlic and mushrooms. Saute for about 3 minutes, until the mushroom is cooked and the garlic very fragrant. 
  5. Add the frozen veg. Stir well and cook a minute or three. 
  6. While they are cooking, combine the almond milk and veg broth and heat for 1 minute in your microwave. Basically, you want them warm to hot in temp. Use a microwave-safe bowl, of course. I really shouldn't have to tell you that part, but I am anyway.
  7. Add the potatoes and carrots, along with the oil, flour and spices. I used a whisk to mix together. Don't worry. It will be very dry for a minute. Chill.
  8. Whisk in the milk/broth mixture and keep whisking until the sauce is thickened. It should take about 4 minutes. I like mine kind of thick (ha), so I cook it a minute or two longer. Taste your filling and adjust your spices as needed. Pour the filling into your pie plate.
  9. Cover pie plate with the crust. Slice a few gashes into the crust to help with possible overflow/venting. I put foil around the edges of the crust for the first 20 minutes of cooking.
  10. Remove foil after 20 minutes and cook another 25-30 minutes. Your crust will be lightly browned and you'll hear your filling boiling.
There you go. Slice into that pie and pig out. You know you want to. And if you don't, well, get lost sucka!

6 comments:

  1. I will definitely be trying this, thanks for sharing! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW delicious! Thanks for the tips on the crust/dough. Last time I made a pot pie the dough just wasn't right. I'll definitely put it in the fridge first next time.
    Vegan Machine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaycee, You should also use in your dough cold butter, cold shortening and ice water. Touch it as little as possible because you don't want the fats to melt. The recipe for the crust doesn't say that, but I was specifically told that. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS! I will definitely try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pot pie looks really really good. Have you ever made a few and froze them. Just wondering what they freeze like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope. Never frozen any. I tend not to freeze things becaus once they're in the freezer, I forget about them until they're freezerburnt. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete