12 February 2011

Spicy Black Bean Burgers (aka-I'm a master beaner)


I was a black bean virgin. I had never cooked black beans. Don't judge me! So, anyway, last night I decided to soak a heaping cup of them and just see what I could come up with today. I puttered around with a few ideas, but I wanted to challenge myself to make a non-sucky black bean burger. If you've tried many bbb's, you'll likely agree that they are typically either dry and crumbly or mush. So, the challenge was on. And guess what?!? Well, you probably actually guessed it since I'm blogging it. But here it is anyway: I fucking rocked it.

I'm not sure what other toppings you might want to use, but I really enjoyed some salsa and guacamole with a little red onion. I suppose you could try other toppings, but, really, why would you? Take my word for it and use the guac/salsa combo. As a side, I made some nachos. Just spread some refried beans on tortilla chips (be sure to get the ones that say vegetarian otherwise you're going to be eating lard...for real). Then, sprinkle a bit of Daiya cheddar, onions, whole black beans and any other toppings you want. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 8 minutes. Then, add on any guac, salsa, or sour creme you might want.

Makes 4 regular-size patties.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
  • 2/3 - 1  cup bread crumbs
  • 3-4 TB vital wheat gluten
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 4 button mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/4 cup (slightly heaping) onion, diced
  • 3 TB orange bell pepper, diced
  • 2 TB Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
  • 3-4 TB liquid taco sauce, medium
  • 3/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional) or some smoked paprika would work
  • pepper, though I would not add salt as the Braggs and taco sauce are both salty already
 Patty before it was cooked
Method:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with whatever you typically use...silicone mat, foil, parchment. Then spray it with a smidge of cooking oil.
  2. Put your beans, onion, mushroom, red pepper, garlic, Braggs, taco sauce, liquid smoke and dry seasonings into a food processor. Pulse about 10-15 times, or until your beans are no longer whole. It will be kind of juicy, but don't worry, we'll get to that.
  3. Scoop out of the processor and into a large-ish bowl. 
  4. Add the gluten and the breadcrumbs and combine with your hands. You'll want to add 3 TB of the gluten and 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs right off the bat. Then add more until the the bean mix all sticks together firmly and can easily be shaped into patties that don't fall apart when handled. I probably used about 3 1/2 TB gluten and 3/4 cup of the breadcrumbs total. But, depending on how juicy your mix is, you may need more or less. 
  5. Now, shape into patties that are no more than 3/4 inch thick and set on your prepped baking sheet. I sprayed a tiny bit of oil on the tops of the patties to help them crisp a bit.
  6. Cook on the middle rack for about 15 minutes. Then, carefully flip your burgers (I spritzed a bit more oil on the top) and return to oven another 12-15 minutes. You want the burgers browned somewhat. They will be crispy around the edges and firm in the middle.
So, there you go. Make it. Or not. I can't make all your decisions for you! Sheesh. But, I can say that you'd be a fool if you didn't like my burgerz.

7 comments:

  1. These look awesome! Way better then the ones I make! Might have to try a spin on these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look great. i am going to try to find some time today to make the chickpea cutlets, but i saw this first on your blog. i have tried for years to make black beans (maybe not years). soaked them for days on end, cooked them for hours. still they never cook right, always crunchy, or something else. someone told me i need a pressure cooker, but i've resisted for fear of explosion. how on earth do you get the black beans right???? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much! They were awesome. I have some leftover that I froze, so I hope they hold up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never own a pressurecooker. Ever. I saw one explode and swore that one will never be in my house! I just advocate being patient with the beans.I soak mie about 18 hours. Put in a pot with lid on slightly askew so steam gets out. Cook on medium heat with a TB kosher salt. Stirring about ever 30 minutes until they're done. My black beans took just under 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I've become quite addicted to the quac & salsa burger (minus the burger) at a local restaurant, I can only imagine how delicious it would be rounded out with a black bean burger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I am always looking for another good bean-based veggie burger - my faves are black beans and kidney beans, but I've only found a recipe that goes great with the kidney beans. I'm looking forward to trying this, thank you!

    ReplyDelete