22 February 2011

Spicy Chickpea Pasta -what you make when you don't know what to make


You think I don't know that's a stupid name for a recipe? Really, I'm not dumb. I just sometimes can't think of creative titles. However, I can come up with some kickass recipes, so that makes up for my poor naming skills. I say it, thus it must be true. This is my blog. I make the rules.

Confession: I used to HATE (really fucking HATE) whole wheat pasta. I suddenly love it. Why? Because I'm a fickle chickpea and I do what I want. I frequently try new things that I used to dislike...maybe you should try it sometime; it's called being mature. Or whatever. I don't know. Just do it.

Now, this recipe is so easy, you'd have to be a complete fool to muck it up. And, really, add whatever you want. It'll be good. Maybe. Though, I bet mine is better because I created it.

This is enough for 4-5 large servings. Or, maybe if you are a giant, it's only 2 servings. I don't know you. I can't judge.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb whole wheat penne or the pasta of your choosing
  • 15oz can of crushed tomatoes (I had a 28oz can, and used just over 1/2 of it)
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 2 huge handfuls of baby spinach, roughly chopped (next time, I'd use more)
  • 8oz cremini mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut into quarters
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium carrot, garted very small (again, I'd use more next time)
  • 1 1/2 TB Braggs aminos
  • 2-3 TB nutritional yeast
  • lots of black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • a shake or two of thyme
  • 1/8 tsp rosemary
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 2 TB vegetable broth
  • 1 TB sugar


Method:
  1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Then add the onions and the spices (except the sugar). Stir around a bit. After about 5 minutes, add the garlic. You'll really smell it in about 2 minutes. Now, add in the broth and the mushrooms, carrot and chickpeas. You know the drill; stir well.
  2. After the mushrooms are cooked, which will be about 5-6 minutes, add the crushed tomatoes and the Braggs.Stir it up really well. Then leave uncovered to let the liquids cook down (reduce) some. This'll take about 15 minutes on medium heat. Stir every few minutes to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of your skillet. Meanwhile, get step 3 started.
  3. About 5 minutes into step 2, you'll want to put your pasta on to boil in salted water. Think ocean water. Cook according to the package. My penne took about 12-13 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  4. Gently fold the spinach into the sauce. It will take a few minutes to wilt down. Add the sugar and mix it in. Take a little taste and adjust your seasonings. I added more pepper and red pepper.
  5. Toss in the pasta.
 I only added this photo because I love the reflected placemat on the bowl. I'm that awesome.

5 comments:

  1. i love throwing a bunch of ingredients that i have on hand for a bowl of pasta! it's so simple and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Especially if things are going to go bad soon. It inspires me to get them used up so I don't waste much food. Thank you for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really delicious! I like chickpeas and pasta a lot. And I also find myself liking things I used to hate often. It's kind of awesome, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I am putting together a vegan community blog. It is a blog where any vegan blogger can post whenever they want, promote what they want, pretty much do whatever they want. If you are interested and have a blogger account just send me your blog account email to kaycee@donevegan.com and I can add you as an author so you can freely post, or you can send any submissions to submissions@donevegan.com and I can manually post them.

    Let me know if you are interested in contributing and I can send you more info if needed.
    Thanks!

    Kaycee
    Done Vegan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im loving your chickpeas recipes here.I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this chickpeas widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for chickpeas,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete