04 October 2012

Rice Salad - VeganMoFo #4


Rice Salad. Never had it before. So, I invented it. It was pretty good, too. I am known for my pasta salad among my social circle, and I wanted to try something new. I pretty much just made my pasta salad with rice instead of pasta. Don't ask me why because I really don't know.

It all started with some leftover white rice and some raw veggies in the fridge. Add in some spices and some vinaigrette and kapow! You have rice salad. Don't eat it cold out of the fridge or else the rice will be hard. I used cold rice, then let it warm to room temperature. PS- mine turned pink from the purple carrots I microplaned.

What I used:
  • 2 cups leftover white rice
  • 1/3 cup minced red onion
  • 1/3 cup minced bell pepper
  • 1 medium purple carrot (or orange), microplaned or grated
  • vinaigrette of your choosing, I usually wing it and make my own on the fly
  • salt and pepper
  • pinch of coriander powder
  • garlic powder or very finely minced garlic clove
What you do:
  1. Mix everything together in a bowl and adjust your seasonings as needed. 
  2. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and let sit out at room temp for 1 hour. If you are making it ahead, cover and put in the fridge. Then let set out 1 hour before serving. You want room-temperature rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment