08 October 2012

Easy Weeknight Dinner - VeganMoFo #8


Recently, the fella and I discovered that Gardein has started making these Crispy Chik'n Filets, so (of course) we had to get them. I decided after a long day at work that I needed to make an easy dinner. I baked up the filets with some spices (poultry seasoning, garlic salt, pepper). I made some spaghetti with jarred sauce (again, I added some spices) and mixed in a boatload of Parmela (vegan parm). Add a bit of homemade garlic bread, and you have a super easy, quick meal.



Now, I'd like to do a quick review of the Gardein Crispy Chik'n Filets.

Flavor: Yummy. I thought it tasted better than real chicken. Then again, I haven't eaten an animal in years, so I don't know. My Mr. is an omni, and he absolutely loves them. Between these and the Gardein crispy tenders, I just may be able to convert him. I digress. The flavor is excellent, and the breading has a nice flavor. I do love adding some poultry seasoning to mine, along with a little pepper, but we also liked them without any additional seasoning.

Texture: Nice and crispy breading outside. Slightly flaky "meat" inside. The chik'n looks like white meat chicken. NO GRISTLE! Ahhh, the joy of meat replacements. No guessing about the weird chewy bits.

Sauce: We didn't use it. I stuck with my old standby sauce that we both like.

Ease: Basically, these are the easiest part of dinner. You just pre-heat the oven, cook these for 10 minutes on one side, then flip and cook another 8-10 minutes. So damn easy.

Now comes the obligatory message about this review:
I bought the product myself. Gardein has not asked me to do a review. I really like the filets and I highly recommend them.

HAPPY MOFO!!!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely L O V E Gardein. The beef tips are outstanding on the grill if you get them just a little charred- completely changes the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like making them into steak tacos. I never thought to have them cooked on the grill. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. I too love Gardein. I bought their new breaded turkey filets and devoured them. The gravy that it came with is just like any you would find at Thanksgiving--minus the turkey fat. Gardien is definitely the gold standard when it comes to meat replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the turkey yet. I'm definitely goin to be on the lookout. That sounds insanely good right now. I hope I can find some locally.

      Delete
  3. Gardein has been staring me in the face for months, okay I'm going to give them a go. When did Mr. Chickpea come on board?

    ReplyDelete