02 October 2012

Chickpea Salad on Crackers - VeganMoFo #2


Chickpea salad is the shit. You should probably make some. It's insane on crackers. It's killer on toast. Hell, it's great on a spoon. No matter how you eat it, I assure you that you'll dig it. One can of chickpeas makes enough for 2 sandwiches or an entire sleeve of crackers. It will keep for at least 24 hours in the fridge, but I can't imagine that it will even last that long. Be warned: chickpea salad is insanely addictive.

I have made this so many different ways, but the following is my basic version. Add whatever you want: celery, seaweed, whatever. Go forth and create food!

What you need:
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2-3 Tb vegan mayo (I prefer Vegenaise)
  • 1 TB mustard
  • 1 dill pickle spear, chopped (also good with a spicy dill spear)
  • 1 tsp pickle juice
  • 2-3 TB minced red onion
  • 1/2 tsp soy sauce or aminos
  • salt and pepper
  • pinch of fresh dill (optional)
  • 2 TB sunflower seeds (optional)
What you do:
  1. Pile everything into your food processor and whir it until it reaches a consistency you dig. Adjust your seasoning and chow down.

11 comments:

  1. I've never made it with pickles in it before, but next time I totally will. That sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coldandsleepy,
      DO IT! There is no going back after you try it.

      Delete
  2. Isn't chickpea salad the best? I always make mine with pickles too. Never had it on top of crackers though. Sounds like a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa Marie, Definitely try it on crackers, especially some that have a buttery flavor. They seem to work perfectly for some reason. Very tasty!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of adding pickles too. I love chickpea salad in sandwiches and it also rocks hard in a baked potato!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sal, I've never tried it on baked potatoes. What a cool I idea. I might have to try that soon. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Yes, please! I love chickpea salad but have never added pickles before - thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandee, I definitely suggest adding some pickles. It gives it such a great flavor. What do you usually put in your chickpea salad?

      Delete
  5. Pickles?? That is an EXCELLENT idea! I'm going to have to make some of this very, very soon...like maybe tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found this amazing recipe and the rest of the gloriousness that is your site, and i'm in love, thank you and I love the name :)

    ReplyDelete