19 January 2012

Two-Bean Tacos


If you're a somewhat regular visitor here, you might realize that tacos are a food group to me. Tacos are my specialty. Here are some of my many taco recipe incarnations:
Okay, now that we've covered the fact that I'm a taco ninja, lets move on to these awesome Two-Bean Tacos. I have been craving tacos for a few days, so I decided I definitely needed to gorge myself on eat some. Yesterday, I used my super-mega-rad electric pressure cooker to cook some chickpeas that I had soaked overnight. If you like cooking your own dried beans, you should consider a pressure cooker. Instead of the 90-120 minutes of cooking chickpeas, it took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. I could have cooked them about 1-2 minutes longer, but it's new to me and I haven't figured out exact times yet. Still, it saved me a ridiculous amount of time! I dig it. Big time.

Alrighty, so, I had some chickpeas just chilling in my fridge - begging to be eaten. Out of curiosity, I wanted to add another kind of bean to the tacos, so I added a can of pinto beans I had in the cupboard. I wasn't sure how they would taste together, but it turned out spectacularly. And, in my attempt to overcome my kale aversion, I substituted lettuce for chopped raw kale on my tacos. It was fucking awesome. I'm slowly embracing kale...and it's pretty fun.

This makes a lot of tacos. We ate 6 and still have enough left for 2-3 more tomorrow. 

What I used:
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can whole pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 4 cremini or white mushrooms, chopped small
  • 1-2 tsp coconut oil
  • 1/2-3/4 cup salsa of your choice
  • about 1 1/2 TB taco seasoning mix (I make my own: here)
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
What I did:
  1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook about 4 minutes. Then add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook another 3 minutes. 
  2. While the onions are cooking, pop the beans into a food processor and whir a few times. You don't want the beans pureed, but you don't want them whole (or they'll fall off the taco shells). 
  3. Once the veg is done cooking, add the chopped beans to the skillet and mix everything up. Now, add the seasonings and salsa. Mix well and cook until heated through, about 5-8 minutes. Taste and add more spices or salsa as needed. The salsa should mostly be absorbed and it helps keep the beans from drying out while cooking. 
How easy was that?! 

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! They taste even better than they look. I'm excited for leftovers today, though I may make nachos out of the bean filling. Either way, they'll be awesome.

      Delete
  2. Yum! I am a fellow taco lover. We do "taco Tuesday" every week in our house! I took a look at all your taco recipes, not sure where to start, they all look awesome! But one of them will definitely be on our table next Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VegWhoHatesTofu, Welcome fellow taco lover! I'm flattered that you would make some of my favorite tacos! I think my all-time favorite are the lentil tacos, so I definitely recommend them wholeheartedly. They reheat really well and make excellent nachos should the mood strike. Let me know what you think of whatever ones you decide to make. I love hearing about any changes or suggestions.

      Delete
  3. Pretty sure finding your blog just changed my life...I LOVE it!!!

    I will definitely be back.

    I have a vegetarian blog, you might enjoy checking out some of my posts. It seems like we have a lot in common food wise. I am off to explore more of your recipes! These tacos look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love smoked paprika in EVERYTHING--why have I never thought to put it in tacos?! I am totally going to try that. These look so good, especially with the kale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look crazy good! can i add them to: http://fuckyeahvegantacos.tumblr.com/ ?

    ReplyDelete