04 January 2012

Spicy Peanut Veggies & Noodles


I have been itching to make something spicy and peanutty for a while now. So, get this, I did it. Amazing, I know. Shower me with praise. Or not. I just know that this turned out awesomely and I will absolutely be making it again. For the noodles, I used a thinnish spaghetti noodle as that's what I had onhand. You can use whatever you want, but I like long, floppy noodles. Hahaha. I used to love lo mein noodles, but they have eggs in them, which is oh so sad. I haven't tried the rice noodles yet...they kind of freak me out for some reason. Perhaps I shall soon. Who knows. Crazier things have happened. In the meantime, I highly suggest you make this ridiculously yummy dish. I know you'll like it.

This makes 3 rather large servings or about 5 as a side.

What I used:
  • 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1/2 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
  • 3 carrots, grated
  • 1/2 red onion, cut into thick strips
  • 1 cup pea pods, ends removed and cut in half
  • 5 button mushrooms, cut into chunks
  • noodles
  • 1/4 cup (or a bit more) smooth peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 2-3 tsp rice vinegar
  • 1 TB (or more) sriracha sauce
  • a couple TB water
  • 2 tsp coconut oil 
  • dry roasted peanuts for a tasty garnish
What I did:
  1. I steamed the broccoli and cauli for about 5-6 minutes until they were just tender enough to spear with a fork (the broccoli will be a vibrant greeen). Then, I heated the coconut oil (you can use any oil) in a skillet over medium heat. I sauteed the onions until they started to lose their color. Then added in the carrot and mushroom along with the steamed broccoli and cauli. While the veg is cooking, start cooking your pasta.
  2. While the pasta and veg are still cooking, whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sriracha and water. It seems like it will never mix together, but keep on whisking. Taste it when it looks homogenous and add any more spices as necessary. Set aside. 
  3. By now, your veggies and pasta are ready. I added the pea pods in the last minute of cooking the veg because I love them nice and crispy. You can do whatever you want. Now, add the sauce to the pasta and then gently fold in your veggies. I let mine sit a few minutes to meld together and this is what it looked like:

5 comments:

  1. I haven't had peanut noodles in ages. This sounds so good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a similar dish at least once a week. Everything is good with peanut sauce on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I have been craving peanut noodles and these pictures just about did me in. Yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. It's hard to do anything wrong with sriracha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this dish for my parents once. It came out great. I used organic peanut butter which added great flavor to the dish. Next time, I'll try adding sriracha sauce too. Man looking at this dish is sure making me hungry and I just ate.

    ReplyDelete