07 September 2011

Tempeh and Roasted Veg Curry


Because I am a farmer's market addict, I went today and got more veggies...and fruit. (Cut me some slack, the fruit season in Michigan is pretty short, so you have to get while the gettin's good.) Then I decided that I really needed to cook something hearty and colorful and spicy for dinner and I had a HUGE craving for tempeh. What's new, right?! What to make, what to make? Curry, of course!

I took a different route with this curry. Normally, I'd pan-cook all the veggies in lots of oil until they were done. This time, I roasted my veggies in the oven first. For me, that meant using a lot less oil than cooking the veg on the stovetop. I also cooked the tempeh separately and then added it all in together near the end of cooking so it would get a little crispy around the edges. The cooking steps look long, but I promise it is really easy to make and well worth the time to make it. This curry goes absolutely perfectly with some brown basmati rice and homemade vegan garlic naan (or pita). Don't be overwhelmed with the ingredient list, half of it consists of spices, so it's not so scary, really.

Rainbow colors in this dish:
Orange: Carrots
Yellow: Summer Squash
Green: Peas, Zucchini
Violet/Purple: Onion

This dish makes enough for 4 as a main dish when served with rice or bread.

Ingredients:
  • 1 block tempeh, cubed
  • 1/2 small red onion, cut into half-moons
  • 1 large zucchini, cut into thick half-moons
  • 1 medium summer squash, cut into thick half-moons
  • 1 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 3 large carrots cut into thick 1/2 inch slices
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 TB vegan butter (Earth Balance is my preferred brand)
  • 2-3 TB garlic chili sauce (I use this brand Taste of Thai)
  • 1 scant TB curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/8 tsp celery seed (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
  • pinch ginger
  • 1 TB liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
  • salt and pepper
  • cooking spray
 Method:
  1. Preheat your oven to 440 degrees F. Spray two baking sheets with the cooking spray. On one sheet, spread out the zucchini and squash and on the other spread out the potatoes and carrots. Lightly spritz the tops with the cooking spray and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Be sure that the veg is in a single layer on each sheet. Bake the potato sheet on the bottom rack and the zucchini sheet up higher. Cook about 15 minutes. Remove both trays from the oven and flip the veggies. Then cook another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender and the zucchini are cooked through. During the second half of the roasting, start step 2.
  2. Spray a large skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the pepper flakes, onion, half of the minced garlic. Then add in the tempeh. Stir often. Add in 1 1/2 tsp of the chili garlic sauce,  the paprika, ginger, some salt and pepper, and celery seed. If the tempeh is sticking to the pan, add a little more cooking spray. I cooked mine about 10 minutes, until the tempeh was crisping around the edges. Remove the pan from the burner until the roasted veggies are ready.
  3. Now, add the milk and butter to the skillet that has the tempeh. Turn the burner to medium. Add in all the rest of the ingredients, including the roasted veg. Cook about 10 minutes, until the milk/sauce is thickened and mostly absorbed and the peas are nice and hot.

3 comments:

  1. This was absolutely delicious! Yum. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. I've never made curry with tempeh. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I am so glad you liked it! It's something I definitely need to make again very soon. I'm a curry addict...and tempeh addict.

    Kristen, Thank you for the kind comment. I really loved this dish, and I hope you do, too. I like tempeh pretty much any way you can make it.

    ReplyDelete