08 September 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes a la Vegan Brunch


Pumpkin pancakes, eh? Hmmm. I don't know about that. I'm not a huge pumpkin lover. I am, however, a huge pancake lover. Wait, that sounds like I'm huge. I'm not. I'm actually quite short. I think what I mean to say is that I love pancakes in a major way. Yeah, that sounds better...although a little pervy. Whatever. The point is that I wanted comfort food in pancake form. I also wanted something different than the basic pancake, so I grabbed Vegan Brunch, which just so happens to be my most-used cookbook ever. I flipped right open to the pumpkin pancake page. I was at first appalled, then curious, then obsessed. Adding pumpkin to a pancake seemed blasphemous and wrong, but I shun society's norms and flipped "the man" the bird. I made the pancakes. And they were heavenly.

These pancakes are yet another reason that you need to buy Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Every single recipe I've made has been a complete and total hit. I've never experienced that with any cookbook before. I'd love to share the recipe with you, but it isn't mine to share. Maybe you want to check your local public library before you take the plunge...Or maybe you are brave and adventurous and want to jump right into buying it. Either way, I don't think you could possibly be disappointed.

The only alterations I made to the standard recipe were:
  • I was out of canola oil, so I melted 2 TB of Earth Balance instead.
  • I added chopped walnuts to half of the batch, and I am so glad I did. I love me some nuts.
They were awesome plain. They were extra awesome with a smidge of Earth Balance smeared on top. I am told they are super extra awesome maple syrup, but I hate how syrup makes pancakes soggy, so I abstain.

As for eating the rainbow, I'll make up for the lack of colors later when I eat my salad. These pancakes only have 1 color:
Orange- Pumpkin puree

Now, buy the book already. I would lend you mine, but I know your type: you'd never give it back.

3 comments:

  1. it's our #1 fave book too, it even trumps Veganomicon. Last night we made coffee cake from it, and used the "jam" variation by adding a swirl of jam all through the coffee cake...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rick! I'm with you on your Vegan Brunch love. It is such an incredible cookbook. I haven't yet tried the coffee cake, but I might just have to give it a shot based on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohh, pumpkin pancakes! Thanks for reminding me of the biggest reason that I love fall! I've heard that Vegan Brunch is awesome and now I fill definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete