04 September 2011

Revamping a Classic... and changes

One of my all-time more favorite summer meals is grilled zucchini and onions. Seriously. Last summer, I ate it for breakfast AND lunch for a solid month. I'm that hardcore. Well, this morning, I ate a peach for breakfast on my way to yoga, and by the time I was driving home, all I could think about was eating lunch. And not just any lunch, I wanted needed zucchini. Fortunately, I live near a farm stand and snagged some zucchini, yellow squash and fresh mushrooms. Paired with the corn I bought at the farmer's market yesterday, I had a stellar lunch ahead of me. Don't agree? Well, forget you! It's delicious.

I didn't feel much like firing up the grill, so I just went ahead and used my cast iron grill pan on my stove. I don't regret it for a second. In my attempt to cut down on my oil consumption, I used a little bit of cooking spray instead of a few teaspoons of olive oil. It's the little changes I'm working at. I'll probably never cut out oil totally, but I am definitely decreasing my intake. I feel better when I eat less oil, despite my complete love for olive oil! I'm starting now because next month, my friend and I are going to be doing a cleanse/detox/yoga challenge for the month of October. It's going to be a real challenge, as we have to commit to 5 practices a week, with 3 of them being the more intense classes. It's time to take control of my health and get more active again. But enough about that. Back to the food.

Revamping my favorite summer dish is rad. You'll like it.

WHAT TO DO:

Just heat a skillet (I used the grill-pan, hence the lines on the veg) over medium heat. Spritz it with a bit of cooking spray. Add in sliced zucchini, summer squash, 1/2 half red onion sliced and get simmering. After a few minutes, stir the veggies around so they cook on both sides. Add in corn (I used 1 1/2 ears of corn kernels freshly cut from the ear). Cook, stirring occasionally until the zukes are mostly cooked, then add the mushrooms (about 5 caps, chopped) and top with a small spritz of cooking spray. Add in some salt and pepper and stir again. The whole cooking process should take about 15 minutes. I debated adding in some black beans or chickpeas, but I forgot to.

Anyway, that's all for now. Any ideas for additions to the classic triumverate of zuke/squash, onion and mushrooms???

No comments:

Post a Comment