01 September 2011

Grilled Corn Fun


I am in love with this time of year for one main reason: fresh, local produce at the farmer's market. I don't know what it is, but the local farmers have the most amazing sweet corn, which I can't pass by when I'm at the market. To make it even better is the fact that it's inexpensive and the farmers are so friendly. In fact, this last purchase ended with a bonus ear for free. I guess it's my smile and charming sensibilities that win me free produce. Or maybe the fact that they see me all the time and I like to chat. Whatever the case, I got bonus corn and you didn't! Nah nah boo boo.


What's a girl to do with bonus corn on her hands? Grill it. Slather it in earth balance and salt and chow down. Oh, and make some absolutely fabulous salsa. So, now that I decided to make corn, what should I make to go with it? Mexican-inspired food always goes well with grilled corn. As you are well aware by now, I absolutely love tacos, especially tempeh tacos. So tacos, grilled corn and a black bean and grilled corn salsa for dinner. Hell yes. Add in some homemade guac and you're in business.


I grill my corn once it's shucked and wrapped in foil. You can roast it in the skins, but it seems to take a million years and I just don't have that kind of patience. Plus, it doesn't get the charred kernels like I prefer. Just be sure to turn it every so often. I cook mine over a medium flame on the grill about 25 minutes. After about 20 minutes, peek inside the foil and see if it's coming along how you want it. When it is done, I put on an oven mitt and cut the kernels from the cob with a sharp knife. I put it all in a bowl and add a dollop of Earth Balance and shake on some sea salt. Mmmmm!


For the salsa, I used 2 ripe roma tomatoes, diced. Add in 3/4 cup cooked (or canned) black beans and 1/4 cup diced red onion. Cut the kernels from 1 ear of grilled corn and add them to the mix. I then added the juice of half a lime, a few shakes of cumin and a bit of salt and pepper. Mix well and let marinate together for 20 minutes before serving.

And for your viewing pleasure, I present this evening's sunset from my front stoop:

No comments:

Post a Comment