06 September 2011

The Best Salad I've Ever Had


I'm completely and totally obsessed with salads lately. Probably, I should be institutionalized. Today's lunch makes 6 salads in 3.5 days. I don't know what my deal is. I guess I neeeeeeeed raw veggies in my bellah. On the rainbow eating kick, I made this incredible salad. It has a little bit of everything. It's in a huge bowl and I ate it all myself with just a little bit of Italian dressing. I'm in love with adding so many flavors to my salads now.  Here's an overview so you can see it all:


Dudes and dudettes, I introduce to you the best salad I've ever had: The Rainbow Salad. Dig it. 
 
Red- handful of cherry tomatoes from my garden
Orange- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
Yellow- 1/2 an ear of fresh (uncooked) corn cut from the cob
Green- 1 heart of romaine, 1/4 cup chopped cuke
Blue- handful of blueberries
Violet/Purple- handful of purple grapes, 2-3 TB diced purple onion
Brown- handful raw walnuts
Black- 1/4 cup black beans
Dressing- Don't worry, I'm not one of those folks who jabber on about how good salad is without dressing because it's not. Those people frighten me. My weapon dressing of choice is zesty Italian. Use a little...or a lot. Whatever. It's your salad. I only ask that if you make a shitty salad, don't tell me about it because I don't care. Now, if you make a killer salad to end all other salads, please share. Maybe instead of a dance-off, we can have a right proper salad-off and people can vote over who makes the better salad. But, I digress.

On days when I eat at least 5 colors, I seem to feel better. I feel lighter and have more energy. I'm going to keep going with it, and we'll see where I end up.Maybe there really is something to this whole "eat your colors" thing. I'm still a little skeptical, but I am keeping an open mind. I'm trying new combos of produce and I really am loving it. That's not even snarky.

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds wonderful. I tell my kids all the time they need to "eat the rainbow" every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lee! It was incredible. I never really liked adding fruit to my salads before, but I'm so glad I did. And, it added a couple colors I'd not have eaten otherwise. I wish my momma had told me to eat my rainbow when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete