14 May 2011

Spicy Tofu Scramble

I've been told I'm a rare breed of veg...I don't especially love tofu, in general. But, I'm making an attempt to try more ways of cooking and eating it. Thus, the spicy tofu scramble. I ate mine with some hot salsa and flour tortillas like a breakfast taco/burrito. They were incredibly tasty. I've only made tofu a couple of times, so I am always surprised when I have success with it. Lame, I know. I can't help it. I just have texture issues, but a very thorough pressing does help with that. I simply cannot enjoy juicy tofu. Blarg. Moving on....

I love food with a kick, and that's what I was really craving today. I used a little bit of everything in this scramble as I had lots of odds and ends in my fridge that needed to be used up. Really, you could probably use any veggies you want. I don't have an exact recipe for this one. Fly by the seat of your pants, live a little. Be creative. Make it yours.

This pseudo recipe make enough for 4 little tacos or 2 big burritos. I only say pseudo because I'm not certain of the measurements. I just kind of threw things together without much thought.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 block tofu, pressed, then crumbled with your fingers or a fork
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 3 TB green pepper, diced
  • 4 cremini mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 roma tomato, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp my taco seasoning (or your favorite brand)
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flake
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tsp olive oil
Method:
  1. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and heat for 2-3 minutes. Add in the onion, green pepper, garlic and tofu along with all of the spices. Stir well to coat the tofu in spices and oil. Cook about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are softened, which took me about 4minutes. Don't forget to stir regularly though so that everything cooks evenly.
  3. When it is pretty much done, add in the chopped tomato and cook until heated through. Maybe 3-4 minutes. Any longer and it will pretty much disintegrate the tomatoes. Serve on tortillas and top with some warmed salsa. I just put mine in a tiny ramekin and heat in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Mmm mmm. So tasty and spicy.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I like tofu scramble, but haven't tried it with mushrooms yet. I use black salt (that has a pink color surprisingly) for egg-like flavor in my tofu scramble.

    ReplyDelete