10 May 2011

Raised Waffles a la Vegan Brunch

One of my most beloved breakfast foods has to be the humble waffle. You can add all sorts of spices, nuts and fruits, and it pretty much always tastes lovely. You should know now, though, that I am a waffle outcast. I just can't bring myself to put syrup on my waffles. There is the rare occasion where I will dip a bite or two in some maple syrup. But, as I said, it is rare. But, feel free to drown your sorrows in syrup.

While we are talking about my favorite things, let me mention my most-used cookbook as of late: Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I've tried quite a few of the recipes and they were all a success! And, I never feel like I need to alter her recipes. That's where these waffles came from. They're called Raised Waffles because they use yeast for leavening instead of baking soda/powder. They do take a little time to let rise, about 45 minutes, or you can let them rise in your fridge overnight. I haven't tried the overnight rise yet, so I can't really comment on that. Today was the second day in a row that I've made these waffles. We absolutely LOVE them at my house. There's just something wonderful about them. They're nice and light inside with a bit of a crispy outside. SO SO SOOOOO good.

One of Ms. Moskowitz's recommendations is to add some chopped pecans to the batter just before cooking, so I tried that for part of my batch. It was really good. But, I like the plain waffle with a little vegan butter the best. Maybe next time I'll add some fruit. Who knows. But, I do know that this is definitely one of my all-time favorite waffle recipes ever. The recipe is on page 98 of the excellent Vegan Brunch.

For all of the recipes I've tried so far, I give the book a 4.5 out of 5. I love it. Snag a copy at your public library or local bookstore. And, by the way, no one has sponsored this post. I just wanted to share my love for my recent fave cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment