06 May 2011

The reason for my recent absence...

Hello Readers. I know there are at least a few of you folks popping by everyday, so I just wanted to update you on something special. I've been absent here for about a week because of a project I've been working hard on. I just built a raised bed garden so I can grow some veggies and fruits organically in my own yard. I've been dying to do it and I really hope it's going to pay off and save me money in the long run.

The bed itself is about 3'x6' and can hold a surprising amount of plants. I built mine of cinderblocks because it's sturdy and won't rot, unlike many woods. Plus, it was cheaper than wood. The fencing is all re-used from my yard at my old house. And the dirt a combo of new and old. I try to keep things inexpensive and easy while reusing items whenever I can. Now I'm just hoping my thumbs are as green as my lifestyle! So, here are some photos chronicling the progress of the garden.








I know it certainly isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it'll get the job done. And, like I already said, it was cheap! I decided to plant things in the holes of the blocks to maximize my space. There are squash and zucchini in some, others hold garlic, and the back side is full of alium, which is said to keep some critters away because it smells like garlic. Another great part of the raised garden is that you can control what happens in your soil. My soil is a mix of peat, gardening soil, and some topsoil. I added some earthworms and some compost to keep the soil nice and rich. As for the fencing, I added a little chicken-wire around the bottom to keep out the little bunnies that call my yard home.

Here's what I have growing:
Broccoli, sweet peas, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, romaine, Brussels sprouts, strawberries, red onion, garlic, and baby watermelon. Just a plant or 2 of everything.

For me, the raised bed is ideal since we have terrible soil. The majority of it is actually clay. We have less than an inch of topsoil, as you can see from the massive bare spots all over the yard! But, slowly and surely grass is coming up. The people that lived here before us never planted any grass at all, so it has been a nightmare and a half trying to re-vamp the yard. But, enough about that. Time to get back to cooking!

3 comments: