13 May 2011

Chickpea and Potato Curry

Dudes!
Chickpeas + potatoes + onions + garlic + curry powders = Heaven.
I made Aloo Gobi a couple of days ago and really fell in love with using curry powder, so I thought I'd give it another shot with some different ingredients. What better than to use two of my favorite things - potatoes and chickpeas?! I know, you're probably thinking, "Where has this chickpea been? I've been making curries since I was but a wee child." Well, you know what you can do with that attitude? I don't know...start a blog, do interpretive dance. Shit, go ride a bike, I don't fucking know. I'm going to move on and leave you in my curry dust.

I absolutely, insanely, obsessively love this dish. I don't know if it has some official Indian name, so I just gave it a generic name. Just like your mom. Ooooh, burn. Not really. I'm just feeling particularly sassy after all these tasty spices have warmed my belly. Anywhoooo. When I made the Aloo Gobi a couple days ago, I also made my tasty Garlic Naan. It goes perfectly with today's curry. I like brushing it with a tiny bit of vegan butter or olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic salt and heating the breads in the oven for a few minutes. Then, I pile some curry on and eat it sandwich style or pizza style. So damn good. You'll thank me. <---this is me being fake cocky, by the way.

Make the damn curry already.

This recipe makes enough for 4 as a main dish.You really need the bread, but if you don't have naan, just use pita bread and do the butter/garlic salt trick. Alright, you don't need the bread, but you'll love it together.

Ingredients:
  • 3 Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4-1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
  • 1/2 medium red onion, roughly diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 TB canola oil
  • 1 1/2 to 2 TB curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp madras curry powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 TB water
  • salt and pepper
Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a large, flat skillet that has a lid. Though, you don't need the lid quite yet. Oh, turn the heat to medium.
  2. Once the oil has heated for a couple of minutes, add the onion, spices and potatoes. Mix really well, until everything is lightly coated in spices and oil. After a couple minutes,say 4 minutes, add the garlic and chickpeas. Stir again. Cook about 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly to keep stuff from sticking to the bottom.
  3. Add the water then put the lid on, and turn the heat to low. You'll cook it like this for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are softened to your liking. Be sure to stir every 5 minutes to keep the ingredients from burning to the bottom of the pan.
  4. Once done, add the lemon juice and mix well. Serve with your bread. Or not. But, I still say you should have bread. Then again, I am a carb-o-vore.

1 comment:

  1. Hey is this the place where I get all things chickpea? ;)
    This looks mighty tasty, you carbo yoiu.

    ReplyDelete