18 May 2011

Dark Chocolate Mint Cupcakes

It's been ages since I made cupcakes, and I felt the craving come on last night. So, I decided to try something I've been thinking about for a while. I love dark chocolate and I love mint. Thus, the dark chocolate cuppie was born. And, as always, it's all vegan and all delicious.

If you've ever had the mint Oreos (yes, they're vegan), you know what kind of flavor to expect here. This frosting tastes identical to the minty cream filling in the Oreos. I love love love love love my dark chocolate cocoa. It really adds a nice depth of flavor to the cupcakes. I've added it to my fabbo Double Chocolate Pecan Cookies for a deeper flavor a few times as an experiment. Dudes. It was no joke. So, anyway, I don't feel much like chatting as I have a terrible headache this evening. Make the cuppies.

Makes 6 cuppies. I can't make a dozen or else my pants will no longer fit. No joke.

Cupcake Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup +1 TB flour
  • 3 1/2 TB dark chocolate cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 + 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp mint extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract (if you don't have any, substitute vanilla extract)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 2 1/2 TB canola oil
  • 1/3 cup sugar
Frosting Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 TB vegetable shortening
  • 2 TB almond milk
  • 1 tsp mint extract
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar (amount varies depending on how stiff you want the frosting)
  • A few drops of food coloring (optional)
Cupcake Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 6 cupcake papers.
  2. Combine the almond milk and the vinegar in a big bowl. Set aside for about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, start the next steps.
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
  4. Add the extracts and oil to the milk mixture.
  5. Add the wet bowl to the dry and beat until no dry spots remain and you don't see any chunks. 
  6. Equally distribute in the cupcake papers. They'll be 2/3 to 3/4 full. Then bake on middle shelf for approx. 18 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Don't frost them until the cuppies are completely cool. Otherwise your frosting will melt. Don't be that person. 
Frosting Method:
  1. Whip the shortening with the extracts. 
  2. Add the almond milk and then add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until it reaches the thickness you prefer. Set aside while the cuppies cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment