09 May 2011

Aloo Gobi - Vegan and Rockin'

Alrighty. Now, this dish is not pretty. It's not photogenic. But, it tastes freaking awesome. I have a love of many Indian dishes, but for some reason, I'd never tried Aloo Gobi before now. I was staring into my nearly empty fridge today, trying to avoid a trip to the grocery store, when I spied a head of cauliflower and a few potatoes in the veggie drawer. Hmmm. Lightbulb!

After doing a quick search online, I found that there was a name for what I was about to attempt. Shit, I had no idea there was a name. I was just thinking it was a cauli curry. So, anyway, I decided to give it a shot. I didn't use a recipe, I just threw some stuff together. I think next time I'll add either some peas or some chickpeas. This time, I just stuck to the basics: cauliflower and potatoes. I ate mine on some garlic naan, which I learned how to make a few months ago. So freaking delicious. I can't even believe how easy it was to make.

This recipe makes enough for 3-4 as a main dish, especially if you serve it with some naan. It would be good with pitas, too. If I used a pita, I'd make a garlic butter and brush it on the bread then toss it in the oven for a few minutes. Yummmm!

Ingredients:
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1/2 inch dice
  • 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 TB canola oil
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 TB curry powder, mine was a basic McCormick brand curry powder
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 3/4 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
  • dash madras curry powder
  • salt and pepper to your tastes
Method:
  1. In a large flat skillet that has a lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, spices, and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. 
  2. Add the potatoes and cauliflower and mix very well. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the potatoes and cauliflower are covered in spices. Then add the lid and turn heat to medium-low. Stir every few minutes so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan. If your lid doesn't have vents, you will need to put your lid off-kilter to let some of the steam escape.
  3. Cook about 15-20 minutes, or until the cauliflower and potatoes are cooked to your liking. I like mine a little softer, so it took about 19-20 minutes. Taste and adjust your seasonings, if you need to. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to get more flavorful as it cools. And it was awesome as all hell on the garlic naan.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite recipes!! Although I always forget to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I order this all the time. Now, I can make it myself. So happy to have this recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete